* UDF

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
GuitarGirl
Silver
Family Historian: None

UDF

Post by GuitarGirl »

I have just upgraded to V5 and have a 120 page report of UDF items for my 10,000 people in my tree. I have downloaded a plugin called 'change any fact' to change some of them from custom attributes but I have actually found that some of the UDFs and also other citations, which appear by double clicking on citations, don't see to be able to be changed. The additional citations appear as a little red dot with rays around the edge. I have emailed Calico Pie who think these may be hangovers from when I changed from Generations to FH4.1. Does anyone know how I can bring these citations and the remaining UDFs which don't seem to want to convert using the above plug in to the front of my information so that I don't lose or have to re-enter each one?
Any help would be wonderful. [tongue]

ID:6125
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

UDF

Post by Jane »

I am teaching a Family History Course this week so won't have much time, but if you can post some examples here, the UDF list shows the current locations of the fields and where you would like them to occur it's probably possible to work out some logic to move them.
JaneS
Silver

UDF

Post by JaneS »

Thanks Jane.
'Birth Certificate' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'TYPE' 'SOUR.TYPE'
'7 October 1874' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'DATE' 'SOUR.DATE'
'Stilwell file' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'LOCA' 'SOUR.LOCA'
'Linchmere' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'PLAC' 'SOUR.PLAC'
'COL298923' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'FILN' 'SOUR.FILN'
'GRO' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'REGI' 'SOUR.REGI'
'Certified Copy' 'Birth Certificate of Mary Ann Stilwell' 'SOUR' 'MEDI' 'SOUR.MEDI'

Many of the UDFs relate to where I have entered the source type, where the source is, the source date, source rego no etc. I am not sure if this format is useful as I am sure a screen shot would work better.

I will try to work out how to do a print screen and send that later.

Kind regards
Jane
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

UDF

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I used to use Generations, and had a similar lot of UDF's.

Generations would allow you to attach a source mid text, whereas FH won't.

This was the cause of most of my UDF's

I wish the plug-in had been available then, as I had to convert all mine by hand.
JaneS
Silver

UDF

Post by JaneS »

I agree. I loved using Generations but of course it wasn't supported so moved to FH. It is terrible to think that all of that supported research is possibly missing. The plug in I have used helped to move some of my UDFs which I had created as Custom fields in V4 but certainly none of the Generations sources. Did you end up entering the sources again?
tatewise
Megastar

UDF

Post by tatewise »

Are these Source Record UDF?
If so, you should be able to change them using the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin.
Try its Other Records tab and select Record Type: as Source.
Does the Source Tag Set: list ?
Then the Source Tag Name: should list your UDF.
delwoodman
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

UDF

Post by delwoodman »

JaneS:

I am another 'incomer' from Generations, in my case back in the days of v3. I remember too well the hassle of dealing with what I only found out after the transfer was Generations' non-standard source structure.

It looks from what tatewise has said that it will probably be possible to tidy things up using a plugin and that will almost certainly be the most efficient way to go. If not, then if you still have Generations installed along with a copy of your Generations .uds file as at the stage you transferred, let me know and I will share with you steps I took to make bulk corrections to the Generations export and minimise the subsequent tidying-up work.

Of course, your file will have moved on since you transferred to FH whereas I was able to deal with the problem before too much new data had been added to my file, but even so, if you could get the Generations source output into standard gedcom you should then be able to do for sources a File Compare or even a File Merge into your current FH file. Unless you have renumbered your sources since starting with FH, the sources should still have the same RecordId's that they had in Generations.

As I recall, there were two main problems with the Generations source structure:
1. The hierarchy was wrong and
2. in some cases inappropriate gedcom tags had been used for source fields (I had made matters worse by availing myself of the ability in Generations to add customised source fields).

The second of these was easily dealt with within Generations 8.5 pre-export, by using Options>Define>Source Fields and remapping offending source fields to the tag appropriate to where I wanted that data line to end up in FH. The first was more tricky and involved editing the exported gedcom - I have a recollection that I made use of a routine which at the time Jane had devised and was posted on her then web-site. But as I say, a plugin now looks the way to go.

Derek
JaneS
Silver

UDF

Post by JaneS »

Thank you both for answering. I have source records in the UDFs as well as some not listed which hang over from Generations. I think the reason I swapped over from Generations 8.5 was that my new computer wasn't compatible with the Generations operating system and I don't have any old computers which work anymore. I will look at the Plug in again and see if I can change the source list over this weekend and see if I can do anything with it. If not I might be asking for help again. I am not particularly confident with IT stuff. Just a good genealogist and data enterer!
ThigWich
Gold

UDF

Post by ThigWich »

tatewise said:
Are these Source Record UDF?
If so, you should be able to change them using the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin.
Try its Other Records tab and select Record Type: as Source.
Does the Source Tag Set: list ?
Then the Source Tag Name: should list your UDF.
Thanks
JaneS
Silver

UDF

Post by JaneS »

Thank you for the recommendation. I have tried all various permutations but it still will not work with my sources nor with some of my attributes. I will have another look at it and see how I go.
It converts parts of my sources but not all and the information justs sits below the FH references.
tatewise
Megastar

UDF

Post by tatewise »

Could you perhaps post some snippets of your GEDCOM file, or screen-shots of expanded All tab Property Box windows, that exhibit your problematic data.
ThigWich
Gold

UDF

Post by ThigWich »

HI,
I'm having the same problem. I have UDFs but they don't show up in the source section of the change any facts tag plugin.
Hopefully these screen shots are accessible.
thanks

http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/41419 ... y-fact-tag

http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/41419 ... y-fact-tag
tatewise
Megastar

UDF

Post by tatewise »

The Result Set of UDF Items says they are in FAM Records i.e. Family Records.
So try the Family Records tab of Change Any Fact Tag and in Source Tag Set select .