* Dropbox

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
Robert129
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Dropbox

Post by Robert129 »

Having read about it I have taken the plunge. I registered for an account (succeeded) and installed Dropbox on 3 machines (successfully).
Then following the advice on FHUG; Utility - Dropbox I firstly moved the FH Projects folder into the Dropbox folder. It then says start FH but when I tried that I got the error message 'The Folder has been move. Cannot find file path'.

I got round this by copying the FH Projects folder into Dropbox and it has synched on all 3 machines.

My query now is that I seem to have 2 FH Projects on my Main computer. Should I have and if so which one do I open so that FH is synched on all machines.

Also if I previosly backed up each machine with an external hard drive should I remove those FH project folders and rely on Dropbox solely or just leave them alone so that eventually they will be out of date and I could if necessary update them by the external drive?
Robert

ID:5971
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Dropbox

Post by PeterR »

I think you were almost correct when you moved rather than copied your Project folder into the Dropbox folder.  I think it is best to move the Family Historian Projects folder (which contains all your Project folders) into the Dropbox folder. You then need to tell FH the new location, which you can do on the Project Window (from the FH File menu):
If you have two copies of your Project folder, there is a near certainly that you will work on the one in its original default location, and the Project folder in the Dropbox folder would be the only one synchronized (but it would never change).

There would be no harm in continuing to backup your Project Folder(s) locally, e.g. on an external hard drive.  But the main thing is to ensure that you only have the one copy on which you work at any one time, and that should be the one in the Dropbox folder.

See this article in the Knowledge Base:
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... ts:dropbox