* Merging Two Projects Together.

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
stewart60
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Merging Two Projects Together.

Post by stewart60 »

I need to merge 2 projects together and plan to merge one complete project (as opposed to selecting bits) into the larger project.

One individual links the two projects.

Just in case the merge didn't go quite as planned(!)-I thought that I would make a copy of the two projects and use those to undertake the merge.

I have been advised by others on the 'FH Users Group' that the process involves merging individuals, families, sources etc and then the media from one needs to be copied into the media file of the new 'merged' project.
That sounds straightforward.

I have had difficulties in the past with 'file paths' when I have inadvertently moved images although I now appreciate the advantages of storing images in the media file. It is this fear of 'file paths' that troubles me about merging projects!

So - what about the idea to create two separate copies of the projects to be used for the merge? Will ths work or am I being over cautious?(I do have back ups.)

I admit that I tried to make a copy of one project using the
'More Tasks'in the Project Window only to receive the message 'Please Modify the Copy Name To Make it unique in The Location, or Choose a Different Location'.

I presume that the automated 'Location for Copy' chosen by the program was simply the location of my existing project-?That path said:
C:UsersStewartDropboxFamily HistoryFamily Historian Project
I admit that clicking on'Browse' makes me panic!

I'm afraid that I'm not sure of the next step!

It is this sort of message coupled together with my lack of understanding of how the processes actually work which makes me feel that I need a 'belt and braces' method when merging the two projects!

Any guidance from others would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Stewart

ID:5999
ejp
Diamond

Post by ejp »

Stewart hopefully someone else can be more helpful but in the meantime to add to my reply on the mailing list I remember at the time of my merging having just read this thread
Switching to Projects from standalone Gedcoms (6630)
I took note in particular of tatewise post 10/12/11 at 17:40 about relative & absolute file paths. Having copied the folders into the new project media file I just persisted until the media was all showing.
At this stage you are only linking not moving so trial & error should not be feared!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When using Copy Project you have to choose a new Project Name that is different from any other Project Name in the same C:UsersStewartDropboxFamily HistoryFamily Historian Project folder.
(It is similar to copying a file in Windows, which does not usually allow two files with the same name & type in the same folder.)

Once you have satisfactorily completed the Merge you can use Rename Project to adjust Project Names as you prefer.
Merenwen
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Post by Merenwen »

I've not tried it with a Project, but when I merge a gedcom into a project, it asks if I want to copy the existing media into the project file. So it asks if I want to copy the pictures from the gedcom into the project.

I'd still make sure to take copies if I was you before you try merging, but you should not have to so a single bit of manual picture moving as long as you tick that box on the last screen.
stewart60
Diamond

Post by stewart60 »

Well - the deed is done!

I have today successfully merged two projects!

F.H. 'held my hand' throughout the process and made it quite simple really.

Each stage was straightforward and yes I was given the option to copy the media and this went smoothly as well.

It could have taken endless hours of work to manually transfer all the data from one project to another but using the 'merge' procedure of Family Historian the process took only a few moments from start to finish.

Thanks again to anyone who offered advice.

Stewart