* Saving Diagrams to emf png on 3.1

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
bambra
Silver
Family Historian: None

Saving Diagrams to emf png on 3.1

Post by bambra »

I have just upgraded to 3.1 and have discovered that the charts have been cropped ie does not save whole chart. (I confirmed this by reinstalling ver 3 without 3.1 upgrade)Works fine on ver3
Are there some settings that I need to change to enable charts to be saved as an emf or png files on upgrade 3.1?

Regards
Peter

ID:2244
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

I am using 3.1.1 and can not reproduce the problem, what settings are you using on the save diagram dialogue?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
bambra
Silver

Post by bambra »

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your help.

I have been saving charts as emf. files in the same way on the same computer with the same GEDCOM for a couple of years now. I have been producing family tree calendars. It does not seem to matter what settings I use with the save mode I have just used with 3.1

I normally use
Whole diagram
Actual size 100%
The page size is set of A4

cropping occurred, the file dimensions are significantly smaller on ver 3.1 than 3.0

After several hours of confusion, to make sure that I was not suffering one of my senior moments I installed the program on my sons desk top without installing the upgrade to ver. 3.1 and all worked well until I installed the update to ver 3.1.

The only thing that I can think of that may be relevant is that I originally purhacsed with ver. 2. and upgraded through the versions when ver 3.00 became available I purchased the upgrade version for version 2. It should not have made any difference I would have thought.

Regards,

Peter
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Can you confirm you have 3.1.1 and not 3.1, as I still can not reproduce the error on 3.1.1
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
bambra
Silver

Post by bambra »

Dear Jane,

I have updated 3.1.1. So that does not help much. As I said it only happened after I had downloaded that lastest update.

I can't see how to attach a file to this forum message, must be some way that I can show you what is happening.

Does Simon have any clues? I know that you don't work for Calico Pie. I believe that Simon sometimes used to check in at the FHUG site and offer advise when and where he could.

I am really at a bit of a loss to know what to do. Must be a setting that I have somewhere in MY FH, if it does not happen when you save charts to file.

I am able to save to emf using other programes without cropping taking place so it is definitely isolated to FH. And no I am not using Vista, I am quite happy using Windows XP.

I have used png and emf files for a couple of years now for diagrams when sending charts to family and creating charts for the CD's. It was you that pointed me in that direction sometime ago, and I have been very appreciative ever since.

'emf' files are such good quality for the file size.

Rgds

Peter
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have moved this thread to the issues forum.
Jane
bambra
Silver

Post by bambra »

I have solved my problem saving multi page diagrams to a single emf.
I did not have the Page Setup properties 'ticked' to print backgound. As I wasn't printing I did not realise that it was affecting the way the files were saved.

I don't recall this being an issue with previous versions but certainly does with 3.1.1.

I am now able save the entire diagram to a single emf, but I have had to muck around with centering the diagram, for some reason the default location is right of centre.

Many thanks for your patience and thanks once again for a wonderful user group site.

Kindest regards,

Peter
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Post by SimonOrde »

Peter

I have had a good go at reproducing this problem, but have not been able to do so.  However, from what you say there clearly is a problem and I would very much like to get to the bottom of it, especially as your current workaround doesn't sound perfect either.  I have various ideas about things to look at, but rather than post here I would rather post to you directly.  I hope that's OK.  Obviously I will post the outcome here.
ballinger

Post by ballinger »

I think that I have a related problem. Diagrams copied and pasted into Word documents are being cropped on the RHS and at the lower margin. Any help would be appreciated. This was not a problem on earlier versions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, A. Ballinger
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It would be worth contacting support at family-historian.co.uk direct if you have this problem.
Jane
Lol
Silver

Post by Lol »

I also have the same problem. I'm using version 3.1.1. I have tried bambra's fix an it doesn't work for me. On larger diagrams saved as .emf files the right side of the diagram is cropped. Help would be greatly appreciated.
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Post by SimonOrde »

Lol and Ballinger

I've had a good look at this problem and have never been able to reproduce it. Any additional information that anyone who suffers from this problem can provide, would be helpful. For example

(1) does it only happen when you save a diagram as EMF? What about other diagram types - e.g. PNG, JPG, WMF, etc?

(2) If it sometimes happens with EMF, does it always happen with EMF? e.g. is it affected by diagram save options - if so, which ones:

(a) Area (whole diagram vs. all pages, etc)
(b) Size (current vs. actual size)

(3) Does it ever not happen with when you save a diagram as EMF?

All help much appreciated.
Lol
Silver

Post by Lol »

Hi Simon,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

(1) does it only happen when you save a diagram as EMF?  What about other diagram types - e.g. PNG, JPG, WMF, etc?

I have tried to save a modest size diagram in various different format. The problem of 'cropping' only occurs when I save the diagram as an .emf file. 'Cropping' happens to the right and bottom of the diagram and not the left or top. When I save the same diagram as .jpeg, .bmp, .pcx or .png there is no problem. However, I often need to save huge (2000+ individuals) diagrams and .emf is the only format that can cope with such large diagrams.

(2) If it sometimes happens with EMF, does it always happen with EMF?  e.g. is it affected by diagram save options - if so, which ones:

(a) Area (whole diagram vs. all pages, etc)
(b) Size (current vs. actual size)

I have tested the same diagram when saved with different save options.

Here are the results:

1.Whole diagram, currently displayed size, text and lines in black and white - cropped.

2.Whole diagram, currently displayed size, include background - cropped to same size as in 1.

3.Whole diagram, Actual size (100%), text and lines in black and white - cropped to same size as in 1.

4.Whole diagram, Actual size (100%), include background - cropped to same size as in 1.

5.All pages,currently displayed size, text and lines in black and white - cropped slightly less than example 1.

6.All pages,currently displayed size, include background - cropped to same size as in 5.

7.All pages, Actual size (100%), text and lines in black and white - cropped to same size as in 5.

8.All pages, Actual size (100%), include background - cropped to same size as in 5.

So it seems that the only thing that effects it is the settings for whole diagram/all pages.

For info - neither the 'avoid page boundaries' nor the 'show page boundaries' buttons are activated in the above examples.When they are activated 'cropping' still occurs.

(3) Does it ever not happen with when you save a diagram as EMF?

It happens every time I save a diagram as a .emf file.... even when the diagram only has 5 individuals.

I have saved my 'test' files and would be quite happy to e-mail them to you if that would help. I could also e-mail you the 'custom diagram type' that I'm using.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The V3.1.2 release should correct these problems, it can be downloaded from
Downloads/Upgrades
Jane
Lol
Silver

Post by Lol »

Excelent! I've installed V3.1.2 and it seems to have solved the problem. The options to have a margin when saving as a .emf file is a very useful feature. Thank you.