* Census Data Input

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
GeoffWalter
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Census Data Input

Post by GeoffWalter »

Unfortunately I've input several census records (different family names) before realizing the existence of Gedcom Census.  I wish to correct the error of my ways and replace the existing input with Gedcom Census input and continue with Gedcom Census going forward.
I'd appreciate advice on how this can be best achieved.  I don't particularly wish to go through each individual record one by one unless absolutely essential!!

Related to this I have a number of census images in DjVu and PDF formats that I wish to link to the census source and open in the FH Multimedia window rather than open in the default editor.  Is this possible and, if so, how?  Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Geoff

ID:3966
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Census Data Input

Post by Jane »

Personally I would convert any Census in PDF format to png or jpg format. As it will allow you to view them with in FH and use them in reports etc.

If you don't have any 'good' census records yet, I would simply use one of the Census Queries and then delete the facts using the delete key 'trick'.

Then all you need to do is tidy up any source records or media records with no links to them.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
GeoffWalter
Gold

Census Data Input

Post by GeoffWalter »

Jane,

Thanks for speedy response but I'm unsure how to convert from PDF to JPG - do I need software to do so or is there something within Windows XP?

I've heard that Irfanview might convert DjVu to JPG but not sure whether it'll convert PDF to JPG.

Do you have any recommendation for conversion software if that is what I need?

I haven't used Queries before.  Where do I find the Census Queries as they do not appear to be included in the standard list of queries under Work with Queries?

Cheers.

Geoff
bgriffiths
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Census Data Input

Post by bgriffiths »

Irfanview will certainly convert .djvu files (make sure you have the installation including all plugins). It will also convert pdf files if you additionally install a programme called 'ghostscript', which is referred to in the Irfanview FAQ. I've just tried it and it works

If you have Paintshop Pro that will also convert pdf files
Brian
Jane
Site Admin

Census Data Input

Post by Jane »

The Queries are in the Query store here on the site.

Just go into the Downloads link on the left and search for Census.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
GeoffWalter
Gold

Census Data Input

Post by GeoffWalter »

Thanks Brian, Unfortunately I don't have Paintshop Pro.  I've always been wary of downloading from the net.  Are there any known issues with Irfanview and Ghostscript?

Thanks Jane, I'll take a look at the Downloads.

Cheers.
Geoff
Jane
Site Admin

Census Data Input

Post by Jane »

IrfanView is fine, it's an excellent image converter.

If you don't have too many PDF's you can always use
http://www.zamzar.com/

and upload the PDFs and they will convert them to png files and send them back to you.
Jane