* Migrating from Roots Magic

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
retiredbri
Silver
Family Historian: None

Migrating from Roots Magic

Post by retiredbri »

I am moving over to FH and every individual has  a _UID fact with a hexadecimal number value.

_UID is not listed in the Facts so I cannot do a global delete.

Any ideas to save me editing 2000+ records by hand?

ID:2573
JonAxtell
Superstar

Post by JonAxtell »

See page 136 of the Getting the most out of FH manual or look under Uncategorised Data Fields in the help.

You can select the records with a UDF through the Tool->Find Uncategorised Data menu option and place the records in a list. Run the 'Named list members' query. Adjust the columns to include the UDF that you want to delete. Select the column by positioning the cursor at the first record then pressing Shift-Ctrl-End to the select field in all records. Then press Delete.

HTH
retiredbri
Silver

Post by retiredbri »

Thanks for the info, it worked a treat.

I have looked more into Data Reference Assistant and find lots of things from RM in the Miscellaneous group with items described as 'Non-standard field.

Your advice has also allowed me to delete 'Died' that was added to about 500 records from who knows where.

Thanks again
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by BillH »

JonAxtell said:
You can select the records with a UDF through the Tool->Find Uncategorised Data menu option and place the records in a list. Run the 'Named list members' query. Adjust the columns to include the UDF that you want to delete. Select the column by positioning the cursor at the first record then pressing Shift-Ctrl-End to the select field in all records. Then press Delete.

HTH
Hi all,

I'm new to FH and have a question on this. I too am trying to import a file from Roots Magic and end up with some UDF info. I used the 'uncatagorized data menu' option and got the named list. I ran the 'named list members' query and am now looking at the results.

I see the list of individuals with UDF info on the 'result set' tab. I can go to the 'columns' tab and find the non standard fields. What I can't figure out is how to actually delete the fields.

If I select the field on the 'columns' tab and then go back to the 'result set' tab and click on the record and then hit delete, it wants to delete the entire individual, not just the non standard field.

For the life of me I can't figure out what it means to 'Adjust the columns to include the UDF that you want to delete.'

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

On the results set, select the UDF column by Clicking on the first UDF field cell, then scroll down and shift click the last one and then press delete.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Hi Jane,

When I run the 'find uncategorized data' it says there are two records. When I run the query it shows two Individuals on the 'result set' tab.

However, there is only one column on this report called 'Individual'. There is no column called 'UDF'.

If I click on the 1st and then go to the last and shift-click and then hit delete, it wants to delete both records.

When I look at the log, there are two errors listed.

Record Type=Individual Id=I50
l.1168 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): '2 NAME Fred //'
l.1169 - EXCLUDED: invalid (exceeds max) : '2 GIVN Fred'

Record Type=Individual Id=I1125
l.19259 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): '2 CONT 70. The Church Of Jesus C2 PLAC Spalding, Lincolnshire, England'

In the query results, if I go to the 'column' tab, I don't see anything flagged as UDF (the little line with the ball on the end with the dots around it), but I do see one field called NAME. If I click on this it says 'non-standard field found in the current file'.

Is the fact that I'm not seeing anything flagged on the 'column' tab as UDF the cause of me not having any 'UDF' column on the 'results' tab?

What would be the best way for me to clean up these two errors?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You have missed a step. You need to save the standard query as a custom one and then add your non standard columns to the result table from the Columns tab.

See [wiki]how_to:creating_a_query[/wiki] for an introduction to building your first custom query.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Jane,
OK... I watched the video, but I'm still confused. Here is what I did. I ran 'find uncategorised data'. I ran the 'named list members query'. I see the individuals on the 'result set' tab. On the query menu I select 'save as custom query' and give it a name. I can then add the column to the report on the 'columns' tab, but when I go back to the results tab, there is nothing there any more. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Bill
Bill Henshaw
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Hi all,
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Did you press the Run Button?

Another option if you want to get rid of all the UDF data is to change the preferences and tick the two options shown and then reload your project.
Jane
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Hi Jane,

I had hit run before saving the standard query as a custom query, but had not realized I needed to hit run again after selecting the custom query. Now I see how it works.

Thanks for your help (and your patience).
Bill Henshaw
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Jane,

I have another question. How are you getting the screen print into the message reply? I see that there is a UBBC tag for 'insert image' which puts some special tags into the reply. What I can't figure out is how to get the image inserted. I tried positioning between the tags and doing a paste, but doesn't work and neither does right clicking and trying to paste (the paste option is grayed out).

Thanks,
Bill Henshaw
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by gerrynuk »

Just click on 'Upload Image File...' (immediately below the Text box) and follow the instructions.

(Not sure what the UBBC Tag for Insert image actually does!)

Gerry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Gerry,

OK... I tried the upload image file link and followed the directions and it says the file was uploaded successfully, but I don't see it in the reply anywhere. Any ideas as to where the file was actually uploaded?

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

When the image has been uploaded the pop-up window shows the following:

Just click on the 'Click to insert Code' link which then puts the correct tag into the post.
(Not sure what the UBBC Tag for Insert image actually does!)

Gerry
I think this is so you can give a url to an image, e.g. on another website.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Seems easy enough.

I cut out part of the screen and saved it as a jpg file.

I did the upload and clicked on the link to insert code which inserted the code into the reply.

Here is the inserted code.

This is just a test.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Great... that worked.

Thanks for everyones help!
Bill Henshaw
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by gerrynuk »

Thanks, Nick - I had tried it several times in the past and wondered what I could do with it - now I know!

Gerry
Xanthe
Silver

Post by Xanthe »

Hi to you all,

I am currently setting up my data in FH from RM4 as well. This post has been really helpful and I have been able to get the custom query running fine.

My problem is that I can't find some of the fields I am looking for. There just seems to be so many layers to the data in the Columns Tab.

Is there a way that I can search for a field name in the column list?

[question]
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

What fields are you looking for? Most UDF fields are near the top of the lists in Miscellaneous.
Jane
Xanthe
Silver

Post by Xanthe »

I'm trying to find _PRIM. I think it was used in RM to indicate that this would be the primary fact. Used when you have for example two death facts. I can't see it in Miscellaneous.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

So does this mean that in your example _PRIM would be part of a death event? Does it appear under Events->Death ?

I agree though that it does seem a bit tricky to find this if you don't happen to know where it is.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Xanthe
Silver

Post by Xanthe »

Hi Nick,

I think you are right, that it should be apart of the death fact. But it is difficult to find.
lacewing

Post by lacewing »

I am in process of deciding on software to convert my pile of paper into thin air (hopefully) via electronics. I see that FH and RM are the main contenders out there. What I want to know is why people are migrating from RM. What exactly is it that you don't like about RM and that you DO about FH? Or maybe a better way to put it is, what does FH5 do better than RM6?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I know this does not answer your question, but you can visit both product web sites, where the features available are described and often illustrated.
Also both products are available in free download trial format.
http://www.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic/
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/tour/
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry