* GEDMill

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
steveabye

GEDMill

Post by steveabye »

Using the free option at the moment, looking to buy the full program. At £15 not a great expense but is it worth the outlay.

ID:2213
tonyt
Famous
Family Historian: None

GEDMill

Post by tonyt »

I have the full version, but haven't really got the hang of it

So am currently using the FH web stuff with a few of my own mods

Will probably have another go with it when i get some spare time though
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

GEDMill

Post by rfj1001 »

I've got the full version. IMHO, it works best when you have a full census sheet in front of you with all family members already entered onto FH. The larger the family group, the more time effective GM is.

I find it a bit slow in updating the FH file (and my FH file is not that big 1200 records and my pc is quite fast) - so I tend not to use GM unless I am working with a family group - anything smaller and it's easier to enter directly from FH

But you can't complain at the price
Jane
Site Admin

GEDMill

Post by Jane »

Rob, did you mean GedCom Census, GedMill is a web generation tool?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
NickWalker
Megastar

GEDMill

Post by NickWalker »

I find it a bit slow in updating the FH file (and my FH file is not that big 1200 records and my pc is quite fast) - so I tend not to use GM unless I am working with a family group - anything smaller and it's easier to enter directly from FH
But you can't complain at the price
Assuming you are talking about Gedcom Census I find this comment quite surprising. In my experience of entering hundreds of census records I have found that it is many times quicker to enter census entries using Gedcom Census than via Family Historian (assuming you want to correctly record all the sources, occupations, etc.).

Also the time it takes to save the details to my file (which has more individuals than the one you mention) is a second or two at the most.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
steveabye

GEDMill

Post by steveabye »

As per Jane's reply it's GEDMill not Gedcom.