* FHUG website

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Dereks
Gold
Family Historian: V7

FHUG website

Post by Dereks »

I've noticed the FHUG website now appears to want to install a new add-on. The following information bar appears which says 'This website want to run the following add-on: ‘Remote Data Services Data Control’ from ‘Microsoft Corporation’. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here...'

I don't know whether to trust it or not, Remote Data Services sounds a bit dodgy to me, anyone know what it is?

ID:2847
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

FHUG website

Post by ChrisBowyer »

I get a similar effect... starting today I think (haven't noticed it before). My message is something like 'Click to run an ActiveX control on this web page' followed by 'An error ocurred inside a plug-in contained on this page'. Presumably the same cause but reported differently by different browsers. A bit scary, but hopefully harmless.
NickWalker
Megastar

FHUG website

Post by NickWalker »

I emailed Jane last night about this. I believe the site may have been 'hacked'. My PC is reporting multiple viruses being blocked when I visit the site. I assumed these were false alarms but noticed that the downloads are coming from a url cdpuvbhfzz.com. Googling for this suggests that a number of sites that use a product called Coppermine have been compromised over the last couple of days and are downloading from this site. I have no idea whether this is used by the FHUG website but I would urge people not to download anything until Jane gets a chance to look at this.

Also make sure your anti-virus product is up to date. It should be being updated daily (or more frequently) anyway but do check.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
g_mcallister
Diamond
Family Historian: None

FHUG website

Post by g_mcallister »

When I visited last night and again this morning my Kaspersky AV sounded off, reporting Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.yc detected.
NickWalker
Megastar

FHUG website

Post by NickWalker »

Yes that is one of the viruses that my BitDefender suite reported.

[frown]
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Jane
Site Admin

FHUG website

Post by Jane »

I am working on this I have fixed the front page and am hoping to get the rest restored ASAP.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."