* showing married name

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
doppelganger
Gold
Family Historian: None

showing married name

Post by doppelganger »

Hi,

When creating census entries, the wives appear with their maiden name. Is there an easy way round this?

Also when creating a new entry, is it best to make two separate records when there is more than one family in a residence - i.e. should I create one record for my g grandfather and his family and a separate record for his parents. Minor points, but I would like to get the best & simplest use from this tool

Alan [smile]

ID:2200
ireneblackburn
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

showing married name

Post by ireneblackburn »

If they are in the same household I would probably create one entry. If they were next door or on the same page I would create two entries, but put a note in the text box to say they were next door or in the same street as the other family. If they are on the same page you are linking to the same image anyway.

Irene
Irene

My family tree is full of nuts
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

showing married name

Post by NickWalker »

Yes I agree with Irene regarding the second question.

Regarding the maiden name question... It is standard practice in genealogy to record women using their maiden names. When you are creating an entry with Gedcom Census and select individuals from the lists all you are doing is giving enough information to Gedcom Census to know which people to attach the census events, occupation attributes and possibly birth events to. If you record a transcript of the census record using the source text box then in there you should record the details exactly as they appear on the census, with their married name. The 'auto source' feature makes a fairly basic attempt to guess what the actual source text will be but it is almost always necessary to edit this later.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/