* How to import from GSP .gft file

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
jojo
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

How to import from GSP .gft file

Post by jojo »

Hi, I have just purchased Family Historian 5 Deluxe and need to import my family tree from an old program, GSP Family Tree. Is this already in GEDCOM format, does anyone know, or do I have to convert it? I have tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked! Hope someone can help me! Many thanks....

ID:7007
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by BillH »

jojo,

Do you still have the GSP Family Tree program installed on your computer? If so, try to open the file in GSP Family Tree and export the data as a GEDCOM file. The GEDCOM file can then be imported into Family Historian.

Bill
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Hi Bill, yes I do still have the program on my computer and can open it but when I try to export the file the instructions ask me to give the file a name and save it first but any file name I give it I am told is invalid. The instructions that came with the GSP family tree only tell me to do the above - wish it was that straightforward!
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

jojo,

I do not have the GSP program so can't look at it. What name did you give the file? What was the exact error message? If you can save an image of the window that shows the name and the error message, you can upload it here.

I looked around the web a bit and it looks like there isn't a program to do an actual conversion from .gft to .ged. If you copy the file and give it an extension of .txt, you should be able to read it in a text editor. According to what other people on the web have said, this would at least allow you to see what info you have.

Bill
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

when you name the file try keeping the name short for example just the word export, the GSP program is ancient and may only support short 8 character file names. Also try saving it to c:
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Thank you both for your suggestions on how I may solve my problem. I'm out all day but will try again tonight.
Bill, I can access all my family tree info it's just trying to export it here! The information booklet which came with the CD etc (many years ago) just tells me to 'select the export as GEDCOM command then select a file name to save the GEDCOM file as and click on OK'. Sounds easy, doesn't it?[rolleyes]

The file name is L:NEW.GFT. The new filename I was trying to use is Schroederfamilytree - maybe a bit long as you say, Jane, so I will also take on board your suggestion of a shorter name.

Thanks for your time and advice again....
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

I'm in! Thanks for your advice but in the end I asked my son (27) and he pressed a few buttons and Bob's your Uncle! I may say that I pressed the same buttons but it didn't work and I don't know why - but I am now raring to go.[smile][smile]

Jo
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

jojo,

Glad you got it working.

Bill
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

No more than I am, Bill! Now I just have to understand everything - just a 'small task'![confused]
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

jojo,

Family Historian is a great program. It has a lot of features and can be customized in a lot of ways. It can be pretty overwhelming at times. There is a lot of info in the book Getting the Most from Family Historian 5 which is accessible from the Help menu. There is also a lot of info on this website in the Knowledge Base and in the How To's. If you get stuck anywhere and have any questions be sure and ask here in the forums. There are some really knowledgeable people that can help you out. I know I've received a lot of help in the past.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

jojo,
As well as Bill's excellent suggestions, you can experiment with the Family Historian Sample Project, without risk to your master project data.
This is available via File > Project Window, but if not listed, can be created using More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
This last command also allows any 'experiments' to be undone and the original project restored.

If your GEDCOM is not listed in the File > Project Window then I strongly advise that you use New Project > Import a GEDCOM file.
Otherwise, you cannot access all of the FH program features.

Finally, use Help > Check for Updates to ensure you have the latest FH version with enhancements and bug fixes.
If necessary, download and install this free update for FH Version 5.0.9.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Thank you both for your tips on how to get the best out of Family Historian - I do have the book and have read it through (much easier to learn trying it out though and I have had a tentative go at the sample project). I'm sure you will be seeing more of me though......[wink]
Thea_Brora
Family Historian: V6.1

Re: How to import from GSP .gft file

Post by Thea_Brora »

I'm also having this issue of trying to get from a GSP .gft file to a GEDCOM file so I can bring that data somewhere else. IS anyone still using this site who is able to convert?

I'm keeping an eye on eBay and Amazon for old copies of GSP Family Tree 4 (my parents made the original files using GSP Family Tree 2 which doesn't have GEDCOM export), but they aren't as easy to find as they were 5-10 years ago.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Not sure if this will help but a Google search revealed that TWR Computing can convert the file - see details at https://www.twrcomputing.co.uk/acatalog ... edcom.html
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Thea.

It is unlikely that GSP Family Tree 4 will install on any current Windows PC, unless you can install/run Windows XP.

Try Emailing jojo directly to see if willing and able to convert your .gft file.

In another online thread it was reported that the following process worked.
  1. Copy the .gft file to another folder and change its file type to .txt
  2. Open the .txt file in a plain text editor such as Windows NotePad
  3. Most of the data entries are fairly straightforward to understand
  4. Each person is given a unique Id and fields such as Mother and Father give the Id of those relatives
  5. You would have to enter that data manually into Family Historian
If all else fails, then you will have to pay TWR Computing to convert to GEDCOM as suggested by Brian.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry