* Free upgrade to version 2.1 (10/6/2002)

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
admin
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Free upgrade to version 2.1 (10/6/2002)

Post by admin »

Subject: Announcement: Free upgrade to version 2.1
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:39:47 +0100
Following the discussions of last week, we have given more thought to the issues people have raised. As I said in my 'Some Comments' email, we accept that what we take to be the basic criticism, is a valid one. This is that there are basic reports missing from Family Historian that users have reasonable grounds to expect should be there.
I have already discussed in a previous email some of the reasons why this situation arose. Since then we have been considering what do about it, and have decided on the following:
(1) All existing and future 2.0 users will get a free upgrade to the next release, 2.1, when it becomes available. The upgrade will be available as a download from the Internet. We will try to accommodate any users who do not have access to the Internet, some way or another. I hope that these will be very few in number and can be accommodated on an ad hoc basis. If, for example, the solution for these users is that they get sent a CD, they would have to pay something for this. (2) We will change the web-site to make the position about Reports clearer, and we will tell users that if they buy 2.0 they will get a free upgrade to 2.1.
The next obvious question is - what will be in 2.1 and when will you get it. The answer to the first part is: (a) All the reports that we are persuaded are 'basic' - i.e. of a kind that users could reasonably expect any genealogy program to provide (b) Any non-essential but nice-to-have, product-enhancing features (including non-essential but nice-to-have reports), that can be fitted in, without impacting too severely on the release date
It will take a little while for us to decide what falls into category (a). I will be putting together an initial list soon - hopefully later in the week. When I do this, I will be interested in your responses. If people feel that there are things that are missing that should be there, I will certainly consider what you say. I will, over time, make information available about items in category (b) but that is less urgent.
As to when 2.1 will be released: as soon as possible.
I will be sending out an email about this to everyone on the Bulletin service later in the week. Once again we apologise for the fact that this situation has arisen.
Simon Orde Calico Pie From: 'Simon Orde'
Subject: Re: Announcement: Free upgrade to version 2.1
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:55:13 +0100
References: