* Happy Birthday FHUG

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
admin
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Happy Birthday FHUG

Post by admin »

Back in 2002 (around 6 months after Family Historian V2 was launched), the FHU mailing list was discussing setting up a user group for Family Historian. I had already added a place to upload queries to on my own site, but it was felt a more comprehensive site would be better, so on the 16th of November I posted:
Subject: Re: FHU Anyone want to help set up a User Group?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 02:13:38 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,

I have been experimenting with a new web portal for the User Group.
It has the capacity for forums, polls, newsletters, articles, feedback etc.
Because of the way it works it needs its own web space so is not off of my site any more, its located at
http://www.familyhistorian.ip3.com
not very catchy I know, if it takes off I will register a better domain name for the group. . .
Ten years on fhug.org.uk has grown into a comprehensive site for all things Family Historian, with a core of active and knowledgeable members always ready and able to help newbie and more advanced users to get the most from Family Historian.

Family Historian has grown in functionality and power over the years, the version we were using back then had no reports, just diagrams and queries, no Project or Focus windows or even named lists. Just take a look at the About page in the knowledge base to see what's been added over the years.
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:about

FHUG has grown as well, it's gained the Knowledge Base, the Wish List and it has provided a home for Nick Walkers superb Ancestral Sources and its predecessor Gedcom Census.

It's not owned or run by Calico Pie, the authors of Family Historian and has been run since the beginning as a free resource, funded by donations from visitors, and the commissions from sales on Amazon and My History advertisements on the site and partly from my own pocket.

It does not seem possible it's 10 years since we started out, but it is, so I just want to say a huge thank you to all the people who over the years have posted questions and answers and the many loyal users who work out queries and now plugins as well, to help people make better use of FH to progress their Family History research.

HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY FHUG