* Paragraph spacing in narrative report

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
DiL
Family Historian: V7

Paragraph spacing in narrative report

Post by DiL »

First apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere - I have looked. :) I'm running FH 7.0.22 on Windows 10.
I'm trying to produce an individual narrative report for about 200 people containing fairly basic information about each of them, including their children's names and dates. It's to be included in a book as an appendix so exported in a form that can be easily converted to Word and needs to be as compact as possible.
Using the various report options, I have the contents set up and most of the formatting as I want it, but would like to do 2 further things - change the wording of the sentence that says ' X and Y had the following children' and reduce or remove the spacing above below this sentence (see the extract). I can't find the sentence defined anywhere (I found the others under Tools/Fact types) nor can I find a format option for the spacing. Can someone help please?
image.png
image.png (53.76 KiB) Viewed 640 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Paragraph spacing in narrative report

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, in FH that sentence cannot be customised. It has a predefined format.

To convert it to MS Word, use the Save Report As... > Word-Processor Document (RTF)... option.
That RTF file will open in MS Word where its search and replace feature can correct the layout of that sentence.
The document can then be saved in native MS Word DOCX format.

Other users have similarly commented on that and other predefined format sentences in reports.
See Narrative query (23045) and Have vs Had Children sentence (17388).
You could try reporting the problem to CP via https://support.calico-pie.com/open.php Support Ticket System.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DiL

Post by DiL »

Hi Mike, Thank for this - that's more or less what I thought. I'll think about raising it with CP. Just for interest, I have a macro that converts all the tables in an rtf document to text in one go before saving it as a .doc file which saves a lot of time!

As a follow-on question please (though it should maybe be a different topic?), I've now decided that actually the individual summary report is better for my purposes. One thing I'd like to change though is the order of the items. I can reorder the line items in the Main section, but in the Family events/attributes, with just Marriage specified I get the data I want but the Marriage sub-heading, date and place comes after the spuse name and the children which seems really illogical. Is there a way to change this so the marriage details come either before or after the spouse name (ideally before), but before the children? Thanks
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

DiL wrote: 05 Jun 2024 14:06 Just for interest, I have a macro that converts all the tables in an rtf document to text in one go before saving it as a .doc file which saves a lot of time!
That's a job well done. I know the frustration of 'all the tables'.

I am rather particular about layout and wording and have produced several 'Individual Summary Reports' which consIst entirely of custom Main Section Items. I started off by adding just a few custom Items to the Main Section and then found that I could use custom Items entirely.

I export the file for the finalisation (page layout, font styles, etc.) in other software. My custom Item coding includes 'Codes' to facilitate setting font styles, etc. (Search & Replace used.)

It will involve the 'handling' of Data References, Functions, Expressions, etc., and you will not get all the usual added extras of a report. Also, it might take a while to create but I found it a worthwhile exercise.
Jean
DiL

Post by DiL »

Thanks for this - I'll have a play with custom events and atributes in the main section. It sounds like it could be what I need.
If you're interested in the macro - here's what I do. Once you have the exported report as an .rtf file open in Word (Word Pro 2016 on Windows 10 in my case) ..

Press “Alt-F11” to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window;
Click Module on the Insert tab, copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window;
Click Run button to apply the VBA.

Sub TablesToText()
Dim tbl As Table
For Each tbl In ActiveDocument.Tables
tbl.ConvertToText Separator:=wdSeparateByTabs
Next tbl
Set tbl = Nothing
End Sub

Then save it as a .doc
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

Thank you for the macro. I have created a few simple ones but, oddly, I never thought about using one for this process!

Much appreciated.
Jean
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just as an aside, if you want to you can create a report plugin and include exactly what you want and avoid the use of tables etc.

A few of the standard ones are written in Lua, so can be a good base to create your own custom ones.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."