* Change name

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
peterbel
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Change name

Post by peterbel »

This is the hyperlink to change name when entering Census individuals.
Is the change just for the Census entry or will it continue to be that individuals name from then on?
Thanks
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Change name

Post by jbtapscott »

The hyperlink is available when entering any source type and not just Census entries - it has the effect of changing the Individuals name in FH .

Per the Help: "There is also a link Change name which brings up a window to allow you to enter a new name for the individual. A citation will be created for this when the source is saved assuming the 'name citation' option is ticked in the Option screen. Alternatively you can change the name of a selected individual/father/mother by simply editing their names in the main info or spouse tab."

I use it on occasion if I have misspelt a name rather than for a wholesale complete change of name
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Another example where I use this is where a marriage allows the previously unknown maiden name of a spouse to be resolved.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks for the replies.
The reason I mention Census, I was aware that it is there for for other entries, is because the family I have been tracing have chosen to give different Last Names for almost every one.
They are a family composing of many illegitimate individuals and seemed to use any family name they wanted.
I do not want FH is change their original last name, is that what that hyperlink would do?
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Yes, the hyperlink would change the name in FH
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

peterbel wrote: 19 May 2024 16:34 Thanks for the replies.
The reason I mention Census, I was aware that it is there for for other entries, is because the family I have been tracing have chosen to give different Last Names for almost every one.
They are a family composing of many illegitimate individuals and seemed to use any family name they wanted.
I do not want FH is change their original last name, is that what that hyperlink would do?
I assume you're using the auto-text in AS to help you to generate the source text and you are wanting to ensure the source text matches the census record, without actually wanting to change the name in the individual's record. It is very rare that the auto button in AS will generate a perfect transcript - an example I always give is that the census record may give occupation as 'Ag Lab' but I'd enter that as 'Agricultural Labourer' in the census grid so that the occupation fact that is generated is given description. Then before I save the record (having ensured all the data is entered correctly and I've used the 'Fit' button), I'd edit the source text transcript to change that to Ag Lab. In your situation with the names I would do the same - just edit those names in the source text at the bottom before you click Save.
Nick Walker

peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks again.
Nick I am new to AS and have completely overlooked the Auto button for the Text :roll:
I assume its too late now for the 3 or 4 Census returns I have made ?
They have been saved.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

You could either re-enter them in AS or manually create the table in the source text in Family Historian.

I recommend you watch the video Ancestral Sources Introduction. This goes through how to create a census entry in Ancestral Sources and shows you where the data then appears afterwards in Family Historian. It may help you to check that you're not missing any other steps.

You may find some of the other videos in the Ancestral Sources channel useful too.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Remember that anything entered via AS could have been entered directly in FH although maybe more laboriously.
So once you know where the details exist in FH they can be post-edited after AS has finished.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Nick and Mike.
Yes, it was because I was finding the entry of multi individual records tedious in FH I started using AS.
It always pays to read the instructions, so I will !!