* Missing fact

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
bahamontes
Family Historian: V7

Missing fact

Post by bahamontes »

I am new to Family Historian having used Rootsmagic 6 for many years. My initial reaction is very favourable. The transfer of my database was surprisingly easy with no problems or corruption of data - with one exception:
In RM6 I used the standard 'Reference No.' fact as a unique identifier for each person in the database. After transfer, that 'fact' does not appear in the Property Box facts tab. However, the reference number values have been transferred as they appear in the Record Window as 'Custom ID' against their associated person.
Of possible significance, an attribute, 'ReferenceNo', appears in the fact list as a custom fact, and not as a Rootsmagic import, as do all the other transferred facts - custom or otherwise.
My concern is that I use the Reference Number, now to be called the Custom ID, extensively in narrative reports. I am relieved to see it preserved, but after a solid day of searching and experimenting, I have found no way of incorporating it into a sentence. I am sure there is some simple code that will allow this, but it eludes me. Time to appeal to a greater wisdom.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Missing fact

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I suspect the FH direct import process is treating the Reference No attribute as a special case.
By default, it has no Date or Place details so it is converted to the standard GEDCOM/FH Custom Id field.
Even RootsMagic exports it to GEDCOM as a Custom Id REFN field.

To refer to the Custom Id in a Sentence Template requires an understanding of FH Data References.
Those are used extensively throughout FH in various customisation expressions.
See the FHUG Knowledge Base > Understanding Data References and the FH Help pages for further details.

For example, to edit a Fact Sentence Template first use Tools > Fact Types... select a fact and click Edit...
Click << Insert Code and choose Data Reference to open the Data Reference Assistant.
There choose Principal > Miscellaneous > Custom Id to obtain the Data Reference code as shown below.
If anything is not clear then please ask by Reply to this posting.

image.png
image.png (126.56 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Last edited by tatewise on 11 May 2024 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add GEDCOM export note
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Just to add to Mike's reply:

You can show the Custom ID field in the Main tab of the Property box, to make it easy to enter a custom ID for a new individual.

Click the cog wheel icon in the Property Box toolbar and then select Customize Property Box. Now select Custom ID from the list in the left hand pane, then click the > arrow in the centre and it will be added to the list in the right hand pane. Its postion in the list can be adjustd using the up/down arrows at the bottom. Click OK.

custom Property Box.jpg
custom Property Box.jpg (114.89 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Lorna
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

This arises from a significant difference in design between RM and FH.

FH takes as its starting point a strict adherence to GEDCOM. As a result, it distinguishes between Events (which generally have a date and place, but no value, such as Birth), Attributes (which generally have date, place, and value, such as Occupation), and what it calls Miscellaneous details (which have a value, but no date or place, such as Custom ID). In the FH/GEDCOM universe, Events and Attributes are Facts, but Miscellaneous details are not.

RootsMagic is less concerned with such distinctions, and treats all of these as simply Facts, using the fact definition to define which of the value, date, and place fields it uses. There are two RM "standard" facts that FH/GEDCOM do not consider true facts, namely Ref # (their name for Custom ID) and Ancestral File Number. These are imported into FH, but lose their associated Sentence definitions, which have to be recreated using the rather complex data references that Mike described.

There is also a third RM standard fact that does not support use of date and place fields, namely Soc Sec No (their abbreviation for the US Social Security Number). FH classifies this as an Attribute (even though it has neither date nor place) rather than Miscellaneous data. To add additional complexity, it also creates an entry in the custom "RootsMagic Import" Fact Set called U.S. Social Security Number, rather than simply use the existing standard Attribute of that name. I assume that is in order to preserve the existing RM Fact Sentence, which is slightly different to the pre-existing FH version.

Thankfully, users don't have to worry about these detailed differences most of the time, but sometimes you have to dive into the weeds a little to understand why FH and RM appear to be doing things slightly differently. It can also create apparent inconsistences, such as touched on above, but GEDCOM itself is also inconsistent at times, so that is inevitable if sticking closely to GEDCOM is your design priority.

Neither RM nor FH are fundamentally "right" or "wrong" in how they treat facts - they are just different choices by the designers. On the whole, the FH direct import from RM does an excellent job in reconciling these differences so they are largely invisible to the user.
Last edited by tatewise on 12 May 2024 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected RM typo to FH
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

RM treats those items as facts, so allows all the usual subsidiary fields such as Date, Place, Note, Sort Date, Media, Citation, etc. Some are disabled by default but can be enabled and some are unlikely to be used in practice.
When exported to GEDCOM those subsidiary fields are invalid and raise errors when imported to FH.
I've not checked what happens to those fields when direct import is used.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I have (e.g. by adding a date to Reference Number) - they are discarded silently, without flagging the error…
Mark Draper
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I’ve moved this topic from the ‘Installing, Migrating and Upgrading’ forum to the Importing forum, as the issue relates to importing from another program.
Lorna