* Publish a Narrative Report for the Paternal Line only of my ancestors

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
Stef
Family Historian: V6.2

Publish a Narrative Report for the Paternal Line only of my ancestors

Post by Stef »

Hello,
I've figured out how to generate and save a narrative report of my ancestors by generation under the "Publish" tab. I would like, however to generate a narrative report including ONLY my paternal line. Indeed, for the moment the report features both my maternal and paternal family lines per generation in the same report. Thank you for your help!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Publish a Narrative Report for the Paternal Line only of my ancestors

Post by tatewise »

Belated welcome to the FHUG Stef.

Unfortunately, that is not possible within FH with standard Reports.
The best I can suggest is you use Save Report As > Word-Processor Document (RTF) and edit that saved file in MS Word or a similar word processor.

The only other option is to produce an Individual Narrative report for Multiple Individuals who are your paternal line ancestors and sorted by generation, but there will be no inter-generation links as there are in the Ancestors by Generation report.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tdavislong
Gold

Post by tdavislong »

I had the same question for a YDNA report. Cheers
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You could create a copy of your master Project and delete the maternal line of ancestors.
Then the report will only include the paternal line.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

A simple option is of course to Root the report on your Father, or temporarily unlink your Mother from her parents while you produce the report.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 20 Apr 2024 23:09 You could create a copy of your master Project and delete the maternal line of ancestors.
Then the report will only include the paternal line.
Jane wrote: 21 Apr 2024 11:23 A simple option is of course to Root the report on your Father, or temporarily unlink your Mother from her parents while you produce the report.
Both of these techniques will still include all the father’s female ancestors. This is not what tdavislong wants.

tdavislong wrote: 20 Apr 2024 19:46 I had the same question for a YDNA report
This means that only male ancestors on the direct paternal line are wanted. (Although it may also be useful to include other male descendants of those ancestors, i.e. anyone who shares the Y DNA.)

The standard query DNA – Shared Y Chromosome will produce a result set containing all who share Y DNA with the chosen individual. Note that in addition to ancestors this list will include male cousins and distant cousins who have the same Y DNA.

Save the results to a Named List, which can then be used as the basis of an export. You can then generate a report from the exported file. An Ancestors report wiil include only the direct male line ancestors, while a Descendants report rooted on the earliest male ancestor will include all those with his Y DNA.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Another option might be the how related report although that does not have the narrative option.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."