* Birth registration witness

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Iant
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Birth registration witness

Post by Iant »

Is it possible to create an expression which will result in his/her "mother" or "father", or other informant? I've created a custom birth registration fact with appropriate witness & sentence templates, & it mostly meets what I want. However in the case of the mother being the informant she is listed in a sentence by her maiden, not married name. I'd prefer to use mother or father, or the name of the informant if not one of these. It would read more naturally that way. I suspect it may be a bit more complicated for death registrations, there being other relationship possibilities.
Ian Thirlwell
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Birth registration witness

Post by tatewise »

Ian, it makes it easier for us to help if you post the current Sentence Template expression you are using.
Also, post some example sentences illustrating what you want them to say for different Fact Witness cases.

Do you want the sentence to say 'mother' when the Fact Witness Role is 'mother' and say 'father' when the Fact Witness Role is 'father' or do you want the expression to identify that the person linked as Fact Witness Informant is a parent?

Why have you posted in the Sources, Citations & Repositories forum?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Iant
Gold

Post by Iant »

This is the current sentence template:
{his/her} birth was registered by {role(single)=informant} {date} in the registration district of {_place}

Ideally I want the template to resolve to his/her mother, father or a name if neither of these. Currently if the informant is the mother it results in the mother's maiden name, eg in the narrative report for the child. I don't know if this is a bug in FH when it should give her married name.

For the facts tab:
{=TextIf(Exists(%FACT.SOUR%),"+","-")} Birth registered in the district of {_place}

The witness informant templates are:

{individual} registered {%CUR_PRIN.NAME:FIRST%}'s birth {date} in the registration district of {_place}

For the facts tab:
Birth registration of {=Relationship(%CUR~WITN>%,GetRecord(%FACT%),TEXT,1)} {%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1]:FIRST%}

Ian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Women always use their maiden name by default.
You must use suitable expressions to display their married name but that gets complex when married more than once because it depends on the dates of the marriage and the fact.

The expression to achieve what you requested gets quite complex so I'll break it down.
It is not possible to use codes such as {role(single)=informant} in expressions.
The code below assumes that if there is an Informant then they are the first Fact Witness.

To test whether there is a Fact Witness with the Role of Informant use:
{=TextIf( %FACT._SHAR.ROLE%="Informant", Text(" registered by " . "<informant>" ) )}
i.e. Suppress all output unless the first Fact Witness Role is an Informant.

To identify the father and sex of child use:
TextIf( IsSameItem( %FACT._SHAR>%, GetField(GetRecord(%FACT%),"%INDI.~FATH>%")), Text(Sex(GetRecord(%FACT%),"his","her","their") . " father") )
i.e. If Fact Witness is the same as the Principal's father then output 'his/her/their father'.

To identify the mother and sex of child use:
TextIf( IsSameItem( %FACT._SHAR>%, GetField(GetRecord(%FACT%),"%INDI.~MOTH>%")), Text(Sex(GetRecord(%FACT%),"his","her","their") . " mother") )
i.e. If Fact Witness is the same as the Principal's mother then output 'his/her/their mother'.

To obtain name of any other person use:
%FACT._SHAR>NAME%
i.e. Name of Fact Witness.

The complete expression is:
{=TextIf( %FACT._SHAR.ROLE%="Informant", Text(" registered by " . TextIf(IsSameItem(%FACT._SHAR>%,GetField(GetRecord(%FACT%),"%INDI.~FATH>%")), Text(Sex(GetRecord(%FACT%),"his","her","their") . " father"), TextIf(IsSameItem(%FACT._SHAR>%,GetField(GetRecord(%FACT%),"%INDI.~MOTH>%")), Text(Sex(GetRecord(%FACT%),"his","her","their") . " mother"), %FACT._SHAR>NAME% ))))}
Last edited by tatewise on 08 Apr 2024 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've moved this to the General Usage forum as it has nothing to do with Sources, Citations & Repositories.
Iant
Gold

Post by Iant »

Thanks Mike. I can see why I had trouble trying to work this out.

Have updated the birth registration fact & checked it out, and it is working beautifully. Many thanks.

Ian
Iant
Gold

Post by Iant »

Hmm, I spoke too soon. If the witness is name only it isn't being picked up. For now I can just add the witness' name as an unrelated individual, with an explanatory note.

Ian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I overlooked the Name Only scenario. :oops:
Add the following expression immediately after the expression I provided.
{=TextIf(%FACT._SHAN.ROLE%="Informant",Text(" registered by ".%FACT._SHAN%))}

The complexity is that Name Only witnesses use _SHAN instead of _SHAR.
Iant
Gold

Post by Iant »

Thanks Mike. I figured out the SHAN not SHAR bit but not the rest.

I'm now getting the results I wanted.

Ian