* Help

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
TMG_refugee
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Help

Post by TMG_refugee »

When I first converted from Rootsmagic 7 to Familyhistorian 7 I found that the GEDCOM import left some issues unresolved. I found that the custom Facts and sentence in RM7 did not get imported into FH7 correctly. Not an FH problem but the sentence structure in RM was not the same as FH. The direct import has solved many of those issues.

To resolve this issue I manually created all the custom Facts and sentences in FH so that when I imported FH would be able to find these new custom Facts and I would not have to deal with the errors in my RM Facts and sentences. I have not been working my FH sentences for a couple of years while I was doing Genealogical research.

Now I am getting ready to publish again using the narrative report in FH and I find that I would like to clean up some of the Fact sentences to make the report more easily read.

I find that my memory is not perhaps a good as I would like and I need to look up again how to do things. I did keep copies of all my sentences in my notes from all I did. I tried looking up in the FH help files and found that even though I do a cut and paste the sentences don't always work.

So here is my question. Is there a way, not tied to an online file, to get all the help files, say in PDF format? This way I can make non destructive notes to the file for next time I want to do something similar.

One thing I don't think I ever found was how all the pieces of data are connected and how they might be accessed. As an example I was able to see in the Birth Fact if there was a Baptism and include that info in the birth sentences. In the Baptism Fact I could see if there was a Birth Fact and if there was I would ignore the output from the Baptism knowing that it was covered in the Birth Fact. I was able to do the same thing for Death and Burial. I could make a cleaner looking report this way. Is there any help that will explain how far I can interrogate other Facts and perhaps people from within a Fact sentence?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions with this.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Help

Post by tatewise »

Regarding printing FH Help pages to PDF, yes, that is possible.
Open any FH Help page and select a topic from the Contents on the left.
Use the Print option in the top left toolbar and enable Print the selected heading and all subtopics.
Then expandable topics with a [+] on the left will get all the expanded subtopics printed.
Click OK and Select Printer: Microsoft Print to PDF, click Print and choose where to save the PDF file.
I found that printer option easier to use than the Family Historian PDF printer.

The mechanisms for interrogating Facts and People are similar to your Birth/Baptism and Death/Burial sentences.
It can get a little more complex with facts like Census and Occupation that have multiple instances.
Also, the Family facts like Marriage are more difficult to access via the Spouse Family links.

The FH Advanced Topics for Understanding Data References and Functions provide the essential details.
The FHUG Understanding Expressions gives more examples and has links to Understanding Data References and Understanding Functions also with examples.

If you post copies of the Sentence Templates you are familiar with and how you want to adapt them then we can provide tips on how they can adapted.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Print the relevant section of the Help file to a PDF printer (the one that comes with FH should work).
TMG_refugee
Famous

Post by TMG_refugee »

I tried the print but I cannot select a level high enough to get it all. I can get individual topics and sub topics.

I could print them all out one by one and then combine all into a single PDF
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

The help file is in chm format. This can be printed directly see this link https://pdf.minitool.com/news/chm-to-pdf.html
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I assumed you would only want Help topics associated with Sentence Template expressions, not everything.
BTW: The fh.chm file is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry