* Right click options

For existing requests please see The Wish List
nconway567
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Right click options

Post by nconway567 »

I would like to see additional right click options when working in the Records Windows. Specifically, the ability to add individuals to a Named List. Current version does not include this ability. Records must be selected either individually or shift Click a group then go to Edit, Add to named List. Would be nice just to right click and "Add to Named List" or optionally "Remove from Named List"

Same applies to Where Used links. This should also be available for a Right click menu option.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Right click options

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure what that saves.
As well as the Record(s), you also have to select the Named List.
With the Named List pane open, a List selected, and Record(s) selected, there is the Add to Current List button in the toolbar, so it is not necessary to use the Edit menu.

You can also drag the selected Record(s) into the Named List record list.

To remove records from a Named List, select the Record(s) in the List and hit the Delete key.

Where Used Links are covered by Wish List Ref 635 Better ways to find where records are used which includes a right-click option or a button, so please Vote for it.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

While I would welcome the addition of right click in a number of areas it would be more click hungry in this respect.

Mike has described how I do it, dray to, Del from or refresh with query. Do go and read the wish item Mike linked and see if it deserves your approval.

Named Lists are a subject I intend to cover on YouTube after my next planned video.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
arishmell
Famous

Post by arishmell »

As a user who works almost exclusively with diagrams, I'd really love to be able to right click on a diagram box to add to a Named List. As it is I first have to double click on the box to open the Property Box, select Go To Record, then go to the Records window where the record is highlighted, and only then go to Edit - Add to Named List. It trips me up every time.
Maureen

Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowd*n, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

arishmell wrote: 27 Mar 2024 17:13 As a user who works almost exclusively with diagrams, I'd really love to be able to right click on a diagram box to add to a Named List. As it is I first have to double click on the box to open the Property Box, select Go To Record, then go to the Records window where the record is highlighted, and only then go to Edit - Add to Named List. It trips me up every time.
Select the individuals, ALT-E-A, and name your list.
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

arishmell wrote: 27 Mar 2024 17:13 As a user who works almost exclusively with diagrams, I'd really love to be able to right click on a diagram box to add to a Named List. As it is I first have to double click on the box to open the Property Box, select Go To Record, then go to the Records window where the record is highlighted, and only then go to Edit - Add to Named List. It trips me up every time.
That's a perfect example I was not thinking of. If you select the diagram box you can go to Edit > Add to Named List without the additional steps you highlighted you get the job done.

I also note the option to add Record Flag is something else users may find intuitive and useful via right click. At present all Right Click options on Diagrams are diagram related and not record related and I can see how this would fit well in your workflow.

Click wise it's only Two clicks as opposed to the current Three but I can see how it would be more intuitive.
arishmell
Famous

Post by arishmell »

Well, I've learnt some useful things here! The keyboard shortcut is helpful, Helen. And thank you, Vyger, for pointing out a quicker way to do it, but it would be even nicer to right click! Certainly I have lots of Flags/Icons so being able to use right click there would be very useful. Thank you both.
Maureen

Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowd*n, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

Any advance on this from the OP?

I can see the benefit on Diagrams and maybe also Focus Window but used the simple drag to Named List and delete from method described earlier on Records Window.