* Question about lost notes

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
KeithPP
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Question about lost notes

Post by KeithPP »

I would describe myself as a beginner with AS. I am converting all my census records on FH from plain text to rich text (great improvement). However, any notes in the box "text after grid" that I have recorded are not being copied into the new rich text census record. i.e. they are simply being lost. Does anyone know if this is a bug, or is there some option that I need to change to get it to copy across? Meanwhile I may have lost a fair few notes. :-( Thanks.
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Question about lost notes

Post by NickWalker »

I think you're looking in the wrong place in Family Historian. As an example I created a census source in Ancestral Sources with this in the Source Text and the Source Note:
image.png
image.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 440 times
And then if I look at the source in Family Historian the Source Text is shown under the Text from Source tab when I view the source:
image.png
image.png (24.41 KiB) Viewed 440 times
And the source note is shown under the Notes tab:
image.png
image.png (17.83 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
KeithPP
Silver

Post by KeithPP »

Hi Nick, many thanks for your quick and very clear reply. However, I think I am talking about a different note. It is my added text, below the census text, that appears at conversion in AS in the box headed "Text after grid:". Here are examples, pre and post rich text conversion. I can confirm that, after conversion, the extra "Text after grid:" text does not appear on FH, under either source tabs 'Text from Source' or 'Notes'.
AS query 1.JPG
AS query 1.JPG (35.03 KiB) Viewed 378 times
AS query 2.JPG
AS query 2.JPG (48.01 KiB) Viewed 378 times
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Ah OK sorry I'd misunderstood what you were doing...

The conversion process is trying to find a 'grid' of data within your original source text. It uses this to populate the grid above so that this can then be inserted into the rich-text using the selected auto-text template. It reports any text that it finds before or after the grid but it doesn't include this in the new source text because it doesn't know what to do with it. So if you do need that text you should copy and paste it into the rich text version before saving or it will be lost. Apologies for any confusion about this - I'll ensure that in the next version of AS the help page explains this.

You should be able to identify the sources you've converted by looking at the Sources tab in Family Historian and sorting by the modified date. You could open up a backup in another Family Historian instance and look through the source text for the originals to see if there is any text you need to copy over.
Nick Walker

KeithPP
Silver

Post by KeithPP »

Many thanks. That has cleared up matters. I had done exactly as you suggest and only found a few notes that I had lost, now retrieved. :-)
KeithPP
Silver

Post by KeithPP »

Sorry - one last thing, to clarify. When you mention pasting text below the rich text box, did you mean in FH? If I do it in AS before converting, upon conversion any text below the rich text box is NOT copied across to FH. Thanks.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I just mean that when the rich-text is ready, just before you click save, you could highlight the text and copy it (Ctrl+C or right-click context menu) and then paste it into the rich text (Ctrl+V or right-click context menu).
image.png
image.png (74.77 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Nick Walker

KeithPP
Silver

Post by KeithPP »

Many thanks. That is what I did and I thought it hadn't then appeared in FH, but I have done another test and it has worked fine, so I must have been having some sort of senior moment before! Appreciated, Keith