* Setting up AS for Banns

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
gsward
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Setting up AS for Banns

Post by gsward »

I have downloaded the templates from https://www.fhug.org.uk/kb/download/anc ... and-banns/ intending to set them up so I can capture Banns. However, despite there being several forum posts on the topic, I cannot find a clear set of instructions to do this in AS (7.8.2).

When you select Tools - Auto Text Template - Import it is looking for an XML file but the downloads are all Text files.

A link to the instructions would be helpful otherwise could I have some guidance, please.

Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Setting up AS for Banns

Post by tatewise »

I have not checked they work, but in Ancestral Sources auto-text Templates for Marriages and Banns the instructions explain what to do:
Open the auto-text template editor in AS and create a new template. Give it a title (such as the filename of the template) and paste the template file content in the edit box. Save the template and it is now available to select, and use.
i.e. Copy & Paste the .txt file contents into the new template. It says nothing about using the Import option.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

Basically, AS does not do Banns.
However...
I created a Banns auto-text template (I have several different ones) and I essentially fill in the the marriage details using the day of first Banns. Then copy the AS auto-text to the Text from Source on a Banns source I create and an event 3x each dated for the three Banns readings. Then I switch AS to a marriage template (again I have several) and complete for the actual marriage as normal.

Not ideal, but it is a way of working.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

ChrisRead wrote: 25 Mar 2024 14:06 Basically, AS does not do Banns.
However...
I created a Banns auto-text template (I have several different ones) and I essentially fill in the the marriage details using the day of first Banns. Then copy the AS auto-text to the Text from Source on a Banns source I create and an event 3x each dated for the three Banns readings. Then I switch AS to a marriage template (again I have several) and complete for the actual marriage as normal.

Not ideal, but it is a way of working.
The Banns source you create is that directly in FH?

Or do you create Banns facts in FH and then copy the AS created source which is essentially the same document for the three Banns entries and the Marriage?
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

Yes, I have to create a Source for the Banns in FH, and attach a media image (where I have it), but then copy/paste the rich-text I generate in AS to the Text from Source in the source record. I either edit the 2nd/3rd Banns dates in AS first (usually) or you can do it in FH after copying. I generate 3 Banns events in FH and link to the same Banns Source record I created. I base all the Banns sources on an existing one to try and be consistent wrt the long and short titles and the register reference.

So, it's a bit of a faf, but it works. Sometimes I inwardly groan when I find a Banns to do, as it's not as simple as a marriage using AS.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.