* Handling identical source names

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
t4ms
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Re: Handling identical source names

Post by t4ms »

Gary_G wrote: 13 Mar 2024 10:33 I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thank you.
It's a great thread and I've gained some useful insights. Thanks for making the post.
Gary_G wrote: 13 Mar 2024 10:33 I tend to refer to the login page when the site requires one. If I don't, I'll usually get sent there anyway. I try to use free sites and the GRO Index part is free, although one can order certificates from the site; hence the login. I do use FreeBMD, since the GRO doesn't have some of the later years and doesn't have marriages.

I find that many large pay sites seem to collect info that I can get for free, if I look around a bit. That practice by pay sites really bugs me. So; I always try to find a free site, when possible. That's why my biblio listing is so valuable to me. It helps when I'm looking for something.
Absolutely. I'm all for referencing free and accessible databases. I keep all the paid Ancestry databases within my FH7 project and include a link to free databases within that Ancestry source record. I have many databases that have no citations or links to people but only have links to free databases.
Gary_G wrote: 13 Mar 2024 10:33 I'm taking things slowly and trying out ideas on a few templates. I know there will always be a few that I'll need to develop along the way, but I would like to get the key ones nailed down before jumping into data-entry with both feet. FH7 has forced me to effectively re-do my data-entry, which is a lot of work. The FH7 import is useful, but I can't leverage the real strengths of FH7, if I just import and continue.
Sounds like a great plan. My source templates have gone through several versions and it's only now (three years after the upgrade) that I'm comfortable with what I have. I'm now on a five year plan with the FH6 to FH7 transfer.
fhtess65 wrote: 13 Mar 2024 14:21 Pre-1911 I refer to the GRO Online Indexes because of the additional information, such as MMN for Births, and Age at Death for Deaths.
Ah, cheers!

I find the information they require to register (to only look at the index) pretty off-putting if you're not there to buy a certificate. I get why it's behind a wall but requiring someone's address is just bonkers.
The footnote would seem to be the smallest detail in a work of history. Yet it carries a large burden of responsibility, testifying to the validity of the work, the integrity (and the humility) of the historian, and to the dignity of the discipline.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

t4ms wrote: 14 Mar 2024 21:17 I find the information they require to register (to only look at the index) pretty off-putting if you're not there to buy a certificate. I get why it's behind a wall but requiring someone's address is just bonkers.
Tamara;
I, too, dislike having to provide such info. On a positive note; it is a lot more palatable than the amount info required by any of the major genealogy companies and there is no expensive subscription. :D
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Exactly - it's a great resource. I don't recall having to give my mailing address when I registered, but it was years ago now, so perhaps that's why. In the end, it was worth it to have the valuable information the index contains and given that I knew I'd be ordering certificates, they were going to get that address no matter what.
Gary_G wrote: 14 Mar 2024 22:12
t4ms wrote: 14 Mar 2024 21:17 I find the information they require to register (to only look at the index) pretty off-putting if you're not there to buy a certificate. I get why it's behind a wall but requiring someone's address is just bonkers.
Tamara;
I, too, dislike having to provide such info. On a positive note; it is a lot more palatable than the amount info required by any of the major genealogy companies and there is no expensive subscription. :D
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz