* FindMyPast: Northaw parish registers

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
t4ms
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

FindMyPast: Northaw parish registers

Post by t4ms »

I am finally in the next few months going to tackle a several decades old brick wall and I need to look at Hertfordshire parish registers (not available on Ancestry).

I see that Northaw is available at FindMyPast:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/w ... rish-lists

Before I pay for a subscription with my measly little Aussie dollars I'd love to know if these records are digitised or whether it's only a database. This is not a guaranteed ancestor and may be a false lead.

Cheers,

Tamara
The footnote would seem to be the smallest detail in a work of history. Yet it carries a large burden of responsibility, testifying to the validity of the work, the integrity (and the humility) of the historian, and to the dignity of the discipline.
LizzieA
Platinum

Re: FindMyPast: Northaw parish registers

Post by LizzieA »

Hi Tamara

They are digitised records (plus transcriptions) which you can either search or browse.

Enjoy!

Lizzie
t4ms
Platinum

Post by t4ms »

LizzieA wrote: 14 Mar 2024 21:34 Hi Tamara

They are digitised records (plus transcriptions) which you can either search or browse.

Enjoy!

Lizzie
Thank you! I shall stump up the extra cash and get a three month premium subscription so I can hit the 1921 census hard :D
The footnote would seem to be the smallest detail in a work of history. Yet it carries a large burden of responsibility, testifying to the validity of the work, the integrity (and the humility) of the historian, and to the dignity of the discipline.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Tamara - for some reason I felt compelled to have a look at the Northaw registers. You may know this already but there appears to have been a serious fire there - the 1769-1812 register is only present on FMP as a transcript because the original was so badly burned. Some of the marriages are from a badly burnt PR. etc, etc.

So you may need to keep an eye out for any Bishop's Transcripts as well, to act as a cross-check...
Adrian
t4ms
Platinum

Post by t4ms »

AdrianBruce wrote: 14 Mar 2024 22:28 Tamara - for some reason I felt compelled to have a look at the Northaw registers. You may know this already but there appears to have been a serious fire there - the 1769-1812 register is only present on FMP as a transcript because the original was so badly burned. Some of the marriages are from a badly burnt PR. etc, etc.

So you may need to keep an eye out for any Bishop's Transcripts as well, to act as a cross-check...
Thank you so much! This explains a lot. My brick wall may remain destined to be a brick wall... :cry:
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Northaw BTs available at a FamilySearch Affiliate Library or FamilySearch Centre - see the Catalogue result for Northaw at the link below:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... =394535-50

t4ms wrote: 14 Mar 2024 22:57
AdrianBruce wrote: 14 Mar 2024 22:28 Tamara - for some reason I felt compelled to have a look at the Northaw registers. You may know this already but there appears to have been a serious fire there - the 1769-1812 register is only present on FMP as a transcript because the original was so badly burned. Some of the marriages are from a badly burnt PR. etc, etc.

Thank you so much! This explains a lot. My brick wall may remain destined to be a brick wall... :cry:
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
t4ms
Platinum

Post by t4ms »

fhtess65 wrote: 15 Mar 2024 15:29 Northaw BTs available at a FamilySearch Affiliate Library or FamilySearch Centre - see the Catalogue result for Northaw at the link below:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... =394535-50
Thank you! I'm not sure when or if I'll be able to go to a centre but it's good to know.