* Text to User defined Rich Text Output (for previous entered events)

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Text to User defined Rich Text Output (for previous entered events)

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello FHUG members,

I am coming around to looking at previously generated items through AS and trying to find a way of auto converting the text version of the Text to Source output produced before the Rich Text feature was introduced. All of these options Baptisms, Burials, Marriages, Birth Certs etc etc are produced through AS as Generic Sources.

OK, I have successfully used the AS Census / 1939 Register conversion option that worked a treat (Thanks Nick!), but is there anyway of converting all the other types produced through AS without having to RE-INPUT each event through AS again to give a better boxed / highlighted display of the existing info in the Text to Source window.

I started to look at Autotext but was not sure how it worked, got totally bemused and stopped.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks PP
ChrisRead
Famous

Re: Text to User defined Rich Text Output (for previous entered events)

Post by ChrisRead »

There's no way of automatically converting the records. I personally created suite of autotext templates and spend a month or so converting old text ones. This meant reentering the necessary details and copy pasting the AS generated output to the FH source to replace the existing text from source. A fiddlier way was reentering into a blank autotext output pasted into the source record.

I can bundle up the templates and put them on here if anyone is interested. There are a few tweaks I would probably make now, but that's a roun'toit job.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Not sure if it will help in your case, but I found the plugin "Convert Text from Source to Rich Text" pretty nifty for converting plain text for non-census sources.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks to you both for your responses.

I have used the plugin "Convert Text from Source to Rich Text" which is very good, but I was hoping there was something a bit more automated, to cope with a lot of older type entries.......

I actually created something a bit more visible via this method in the Text to Source area for some Cemetery committals and then manually updated about 30 records.....but it meant copy and pasting a lot!!

I have read the Template / Autotext help a number of times............and I had a go at creating a Cemetery Committal Template which I was able to use as a new source entry and it seemed to work.....however,

Screenshot 2024-02-23 212024.JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-23 212024.JPG (334.79 KiB) Viewed 226 times

I also at the same time created an autotext using the same code fields as the Cemetery Committal template, but when you have entered the data in the Template and then select to use the relevant Autotext in the Text to Source, it doesn't fill in the information from the actual template??

Screenshot 2024-02-23 212102.JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-23 212102.JPG (321.93 KiB) Viewed 226 times

Do you know what I am doing wrong here?

PP