* Why has my information gone public?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Lindankle
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Why has my information gone public?

Post by Lindankle »

HI there

What have I done to allow my information to go public?

When I clicked on the symbol for "matches" it's just throwing back at me the information I have inputted into the FH software.

I do realise it's a scam, asking for money to see my own record.
The whole reason I purchased software was to keep my recocrds private!

What have I done wrong? help!

Linda
Attachments
image.png
image.png (57.34 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Why has my information gone public?

Post by Jane »

When you search for matches, Family Historian uploads some of the data to compare.
It does not permanently upload the information.

Are you sure you are not looking at the information from your DB which is used to compare to records offered.

This page explains in detail how the matching works.

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/aidm
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

What is the scam though?
FH does matches to FindMyPast and MyHeritage.

If you don't have paid subscriptions to those sites, then they will ask you to pay to see the records, which is just the same as creating 'free' unsubscribed accounts on those websites, where you can search for records, but asked to subscribe, be it annually, or monthly etc. to view the records.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

“Public” means that I can see your data as well, so I very much doubt that is the case.

How are hints supposed to work if they can’t see what you have entered? If you don’t want any of your data to leave the privacy of your PC, I’m afraid that you’ll have to stop using external hints and matches. They’re easy enough to turn off permanently using Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matches (from memory…).
Mark Draper
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

If you do a direct search on Findmypast or MyHeritage you need to enter your search parameters (name, dates etc). These are not retained by FMP or MH. When you search via FH it sends the search parameters for you, but again they are not retained.

When you look at the results of the FH hints you are seeing a summary of the information already in your tree, which FH has used as the search parameters, for comparison with the possible matches in FMP or MH. None of your data has been uploaded permanently (unless you have independently created trees on FMP or MH).
Lorna
Lindankle
Gold

Post by Lindankle »

Thanks Lorna
I was misconstruing that My Heritage was going to send me back the same information that I had placed in FH family tree ( and thus my information had gone public! yikes)

It appears it's saying there may be one public match in the MyHeritage data base that might be of interest to me.

Penny has dropped!!!

And... I can see it's a death certificate I already have. In fact, it's pretty clever!

I thought somehow my information had gone public.

Thank you!

Linda
Lindankle
Gold

Post by Lindankle »

Thanks Mark
If you read my reply to Lorna, you can see I miscontrued the whole thing!

Beginner here...

Linda
Lindankle
Gold

Post by Lindankle »

neil40 wrote: 23 Feb 2024 08:55 What is the scam though?
FH does matches to FindMyPast and MyHeritage.

If you don't have paid subscriptions to those sites, then they will ask you to pay to see the records, which is just the same as creating 'free' unsubscribed accounts on those websites, where you can search for records, but asked to subscribe, be it annually, or monthly etc. to view the records.

Thanks Neil, Lorna explained what was happening, and I replied with a penny dropping moment.
All cleared up!

Beginner, struggling with the software...

L
Lindankle
Gold

Post by Lindankle »

Jane wrote: 23 Feb 2024 08:09 When you search for matches, Family Historian uploads some of the data to compare.
It does not permanently upload the information.

Are you sure you are not looking at the information from your DB which is used to compare to records offered.

This page explains in detail how the matching works.

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/aidm
Thanks Jane

I misconstrued it all - I've replied to Lorna with my penny dropping moment!

regards
Linda ( begginer)