* Check For Unlinked Media (FH7) - new plugin that can search in all locations

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Check For Unlinked Media (FH7) - new plugin that can search in all locations

Post by Gary_G »

Mark;
The new version of the plugin is helpful, since I store my media outside the project directory.

I was wondering if it would be possible to show the file extension in a separate column, so sorting by filetype would be possible?

I tend to keep supporting documentation in the same structure as my media files. Having the ability to sort by filetype would be a simple way allow one to isolate the typical extensions one uses for actual media images. Filtering by a filetype would also work, but I suspect it would be more work to implement.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Check For Unlinked Media (FH7) - new plugin that can search in all locations

Post by Mark1834 »

Certainly possible, but I would prefer to leave it for a while before submitting a new version for review to see if any bugs surface.

In the meantime, you could export the output as a csv file, import into your spreadsheet of choice, and use its string-handling functions to split the filename at the last full stop/period.
Mark Draper
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Gary, just to satisfy my curiosity, how come you have so many media items with no corresponding media record that sorting by file type is desirable?
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, I think Gary explained that.
He keeps supporting documentation in the same structure as the media files, which are all outside the Project.
So sorting by file type allows image files that should be linked to be differentiated from supporting documents that should not be linked.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, Mike. You are correct.
I imagine I'm not alone in this practice.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!