* Diagram - Census data

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
lindad
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Diagram - Census data

Post by lindad »

Hope I'm posting this on the correct board!

I have a diagram showing just names and census data as the text. Great way to see which censuses are missing... except I now realise only census data that I've added using AS are included. Any census data I have entered manually as a fact are not.

Am I missing something, is this a bug/error, or is this text option for diagrams only linked to AS?
Linda Dutton
Researching - Dutton, Berrett, Hungerford, Payne, Bell & Scott
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Diagram - Census data

Post by LornaCraig »

The text scheme called Census Data should display any standard census facts, regardless of how they were created.
If the ones you created manually are not showing there must be something about them which stops FH recognising them as standard census facts. Did you perhaps create them as Residence facts? Or did you use a custom census fact? Were they imported from another genealogy program?

(I don't think the problem is with the diagram text scheme, so I won't move this topic to the Diagrams sub-form)
Lorna
lindad
Platinum

Post by lindad »

I created them by clicking on 'Add Census' and then adding the details manually. For dates I entered only 1861, 1881, 1911 etc. rather than the full exact date. I've only ever entered the data direct to FH (none has been imported other than via AS) and many of the entries are before I started using AS. (I've been using FH since it first began.) These days I tend to use AS if a family group are living together, but if it's a lone family member I just use the Add Census option.
Linda Dutton
lindad
Platinum

Post by lindad »

Apologies! Ignore this! I think I have somehow missed entering data for a few children when entering data manually. :o I need to backtrack!! :|
Linda Dutton
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

lindad wrote: 22 Feb 2024 15:47 but if it's a lone family member I just use the Add Census option.
I use AS for all census entries to ensure that it's done in a consistent manner. If it's a lone relative living with apparently unrelated individuals I use the Add new empty row (person not in file) so that the text from source is complete for the household. On a couple of occasions I've subsequently found a connections to an individual that I thought was unrelated, having all the data there made updating much easier.
John Elvin
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

If you just want to record a single person in a household and don't want to use John's method to record everyone else in the household, there is nothing to stop you just adding the one individual to the census entry in AS. AS will still help you to transcribe the entry, will still help you to link an image and ensure all your entries are recorded consistently.

Sometimes I'll add to the source text some additional context such as 'In the institution there are around 50 children including;' followed by the one individual I'm interested in.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
lindad
Platinum

Post by lindad »

Thank you all!
Linda Dutton
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Glad you sorted it!!
lindad wrote: 22 Feb 2024 16:00 Apologies! Ignore this! I think I have somehow missed entering data for a few children when entering data manually. :o I need to backtrack!! :|
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz