* IMPORTING FROM TRANSCRIBED CENSUS DATA

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
lillylp
Family Historian: V7

IMPORTING FROM TRANSCRIBED CENSUS DATA

Post by lillylp »

It is easy and quick to import transcribed Census data from various sites (eg Irish National Archives for 1901 and 1911) into a spreadsheet and then export it as a plain text file (delimited by comma, tab, etc). Can someone point me to a post etc on how I might import such data into FH or AS? Obviouly, being able to semi-automate the process would be a significant time saver. I have tried the Source Convery in AS but cannot get it to 'see' my plainn text file. Thanks, Louis.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: IMPORTING FROM TRANSCRIBED CENSUS DATA

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Louis.

I have moved your question from the Importing forum to the FH General Usage forum, because the Importing forum is for importing a whole Project from another genealogy program.

The AS Source Convert feature is for converting existing AS created generic Source Citations into the new FH V7 templated Source Citations. You won't have any existing AS generated Source Citations and you are still running FH V6 which has no template Source feature. So the AS Convert Source feature is not for you.

To answer your question we need to know a bit more about what you are trying to achieve.
If you know all about the following process then I'm sorry for repeating it to you.
Usually, capturing Census records involves rather more than just copying the transcript.
First, a Source Citation needs to be created to capture the Census reference, transcript, and image.
Individual records may need to be created for each person in the household and their Family relationships.
Even if those exist a Census fact with Date, Place & Address needs to be created for each Individual record.
Also, Occupation facts may often need to be created and perhaps Birth fact details updated.
Finally, the Source Citation will be attached to each of those facts.

AS helps by letting you copy-type details from the Census transcript into its data fields.
That allows AS to automatically create most of the facts and source details identified above.
It also composes a transcript that may need manual editing to match the original.

Please explain where you are in that process and which steps need further explanation.
There are guides in the FHUG Knowledge Base and FH Help pages but I don't want to bombard you with them all.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lillylp

Post by lillylp »

Here are two lines from a Census entry obtained by cut and paste from the original into XCel with image reference pasted at the end of each line and then saved as a text file - first line is the heading and subsequent lines are the individual data. Of couse it could be saved with each data separated by a comma or tab instead AS seems to be able to import similary structured data and transform it for saving by FH (I have V7). I was wondering of I could get AS in its Census Source Convert to recognize such a file in its source box.

Code: Select all

Townland	DED	House_No	Surname	Forename	Age	Sex	Relation_to_head	Religion	Birthplace	Occupation	Literacy	Irish Language	Marital Status	Specified Illnesses	Image
Edmonstown	Tullaghanmore	4	Vesey	John		56	Male	Head of Family		Roman Catholic	Co Mayo		Farmer		Read and write	Irish and English	Married	-	census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003844674/
Last edited by tatewise on 21 Feb 2024 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reformatted column details
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Sorry no that isn't something that can be done with AS.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

AS Census Source Convert is not designed for that, as I explained in my first reply.

Please update the FH Version shown in your Profile on the right of your postings.
Click your username lillylp, navigate to Edit Profile, set Family Historian to V7, then scroll down to SUBMIT.

image.png
image.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lillylp

Post by lillylp »

Thanks for the challenge!
I think I can (relatively) quickly compile a file of multiple census entries in Excel from published transcribed census records, and semi-automatically add a first column using GED file notation (all using excel), export to a textfile, add a GED header and tailer and save as a ged file. I suspect if I import that file into FH I will be able to use it as a normal FH file, including within AS. We will see, butif it works it will be a significnt time saving and I will avoid the danger of inaccuracies from typing in the individual data.