* V7 Notes

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
loulou330
Gold
Family Historian: V7

V7 Notes

Post by loulou330 »

Hi,

I've not noticed before but when I go to create a note on v7 nothing happens - no white space for inputting the note. I also don't seem to be able to get the Research Notes to work either.

The notes are not appearing in a floating window either

Is anyone able to advise?

Many thanks
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: V7 Notes

Post by LornaCraig »

What kind of note are you trying to create? Is it a fact note? Or a local note for an individual or couple? Or a Note record?

It's possible that the floating window is off the main screen, or has been moved to the very edge so that it's not noticeable.

(By the way as you are now using V7 can you update your profile, which says you are still using v 6.2)
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Another user was having a similar problem recently. FH should be opening a pop-up Rich Text Note window.
In that user's case, I think FH got confused because they had had several monitor screens connected and had rearranged them. They were also running several instances of FH at the same time.

To locate a pop up window such as the Note window, right-click on the Windows Taskbar across the bottom of your screen and choose Cascade windows. That will put a large Note window in front of the FH window.
Resize and position that Note window where you want it to pop up, then Close it.

To update FH version, click your username and navigate to Edit Profile, select Family Historian V7, then scroll down to SUBMIT.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 19 Feb 2024 18:16 To locate a pop up window such as the Note window, right-click on the Windows Taskbar across the bottom of your screen and choose Cascade windows.
Mike, it's my understanding that the Cascade feature has been removed from Win11. I certainly don't get that option when right-clicking on the Windows Taskbar. They seem to be pushing the 'Snap' feature instead.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

On Windows 11 try using Task View to show all windows on the same screen. The Task View icon looks like two overlapping squares—one white and one grey—and you'll find it on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. This displays all windows on a single screen and is the simplest way to see all open windows. You can also open Task View by pressing the Windows key + Tab.

Also, try right-click on the taskbar and select the entry for Show windows stacked.

Unfortunately, the snap feature does not work if you cannot locate the window.

However, Task View on Windows 10 only shows parent windows and not subsidiary windows like the Note window, so I wonder if Windows 11 is different.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Also, try right-click on the taskbar and select the entry for Show windows stacked.
No such option.
However, Task View on Windows 10 only shows parent windows and not subsidiary windows like the Note window, so I wonder if Windows 11 is different.
Windows 11 is the same. Task View doesn't show subsidiary windows like the Note window.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There seem to be many useful features removed from Windows 11.
My Google Searches cannot find a method for locating such modal windows that are off-screen.
I'm glad I've stayed with Windows 10 for the time being.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I've mentioned it before, but Start11 restores a lot of Windows 10 functionality to Windows 11. Including Cascade Windows. And it isn't expensive.