* Exporting to Tribal Pages

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
lindad
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Exporting to Tribal Pages

Post by lindad »

Would appreciate some advice please! Until recently I've done very little work on my tree during the last few years and my brain isn't quite on gear... especially as I'm also getting to grips with the new version of FH.

The last time I tried to export my FH gedcom to Tribal Pages I got into all sorts for trouble. It is something I used to do almost weekly without problem, but then FH gedcom files changed and were no longer compatible. I exported the gedcom and it wiped out the hundreds of images that I already had saved to TP. :shock: I was eventually able to get everything restored but it was a very stressful experience I am keen to avoid again!

Would appreciate any tips please!
Linda Dutton
Researching - Dutton, Berrett, Hungerford, Payne, Bell & Scott
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Exporting to Tribal Pages

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, can you please update your profile shown on the right of your posting to say Family Historian: V7
Click on your username and navigate to Edit Profile, select FH V7, then scroll down to SUBMIT.

Can you provide a potted history of your successes and failures to migrate your GEDCOM to Tribal Pages.

When was it successful almost every week (i.e. which FH Version) and what export method did you use?
Did you use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command or the 'Export Gedcom File' plugin?

When it started causing trouble, which FH Version was that?
What export method did you use?

I ask for that history because going from FH V6 to FH V7 does change the GEDCOM format from 5.5 to 5.5.1.
Tribal Pages only supports GEDCOM 5.5 but the 'Export Gedcom File' plugin handles that conversion.
However, that plugin excludes all links to Media images because Tribal Pages does not allow the bulk upload of images.
What the plugin does do is offer a way of loading multi-instance facts like Census, Occupation, Residence that Tribal Pages does not accept with a standard GEDCOM.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lindad
Platinum

Re: Exporting to Tribal Pages

Post by lindad »

Hi Mike

Many apologies for such a tardy reply, two years later. Life once again took over but am finally back and trying to get to grips with this.

It was several years and several versions of FH ago since I regularly updated TP. Can't remember exactly when but suspect it was before FH adopted the use of projects, whenever that was!!

I've always added images to TP manually (thousands of them!) and that is no problem. I used to export the GEDCOM from FH, and TP would seamlessly cope with it and reconnect all the images to the updated file. However, the last time I tried in 2016(!) it completely wiped my entire tree without uploading anything. TP support is not great but, to their credit, they did manage to restore my tree as it was prior the the update. Haven't had the time or courage to try since!! Have just updated a few records manually, but the version of my tree on TP is woefully out of date.

I see there is now a plugin for exporting trees so will take a deep breath and give that a go! Will keep all of my fingers and toes crossed.

Best wishes and thanks,
Linda
Linda Dutton
Researching - Dutton, Berrett, Hungerford, Payne, Bell & Scott