* External documents as Notes

Questions about the facilities for planning and tracking your research within FH
Ruth_W
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

External documents as Notes

Post by Ruth_W »

I have seen a few posts about linking to Word documents as Media and also as sources, but is there any way to link them to Notes, such as Research notes? I have begun to use a Research log in the hope of becoming more efficient in my work (!) but I've also got lots of Word documents with, say, lists of a surname in a PR, or speculative family reconstructions, that I then forget I've done and redo some years later! :oops:
The ways I can see at the moment are a) copy & paste the text into an FH note, or b) write in my FH note 'see Word document xxxx'.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: External documents as Notes

Post by tatewise »

It is not entirely intuitive but you can use the Notes Rich Text Web Link feature.
In the Rich Text Note window use the Add Link > Add Web Link... option highlighted yellow below.
Then enter the Windows file path into the Web Address: box.
A double-click on the link will open the Word document.

image.png
image.png (43.36 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I prefer to link the spreadsheets I use for similar purposes via a Media record, which has the advantage that (a) it's easier to update if you migrate to a new PC and/or different filing structure; (b) you can see where a particular file has been linked (open the Media record and View > Record Links); (c) you can delete the media once when you're finished with it rather than having to hunt it down in various places; (d) the Broken Links features work.

You have to create the Media record first, then with the note open for editing, go to Add Link > Add More Links > Add Link to Media Record...
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Well that's nifty!! I just added one to my 2nd great-uncle's profile. FH and its flexibility never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks so much for sharing!!
ColeValleyGirl wrote: 13 Feb 2024 13:11 <SNIP>

You have to create the Media record first, then with the note open for editing, go to Add Link > Add More Links > Add Link to Media Record...
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Ruth_W
Diamond

Post by Ruth_W »

Thank-you Mike and Helen. Mike's answer looks like the sort of thing I was hoping to do, but I will play around with both suggestions and see how they work for me. (I also have spreadsheets that would be very useful to link!)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ruth_W wrote: 13 Feb 2024 17:31 (I also have spreadsheets that would be very useful to link!)
My suggestion doesn't depend on the file type you need to link, but more on what might happen in future.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ruth, I was responding to your request to link documents directly to Research Note records.
However, Helen's suggestion to use Media records linked to Research Notes is more robust and future-proof.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry