* AS Census - SourceTemplate.xml missing

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
patthepiper
Gold
Family Historian: V7

AS Census - SourceTemplate.xml missing

Post by patthepiper »

It was working yesterday, but today I keep getting error "SourceTemplate.xml missing" when attempting to enter census data.

I have had no success with using a new copy of Ancestral Sources. Restarting my computer makes no difference.

Please help!
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: AS Census - SourceTemplate.xml missing

Post by jbtapscott »

I'm sure Nick will come back with other suggestions in due course, but initially I would check using file Explorer if the file is actually present. I have the base AS install with no folder changes (e.g. for Synchronisation, etc)., and I find the file you refer to in Documents\Ancestral Sources\Settings along with 5 or 6 other xml files.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I have moved this from the Plugins forum to the Ancestral Sources forum. (You might be using Mike's plugin to launch AS but this sounds like a problem with the AS files themselves.)
Lorna
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

As Brent said, AS is expecting to find the file in your Documents folder within a folder called Ancestral Sources and a sub-folder called 'Settings'
image.png
image.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 351 times
If the file is there and assuming you've not changed any options to use a different folder then (with AS not running) try renaming the file to something else and run AS again (this should force AS to recreate the file). If there are still issues then this may suggest you have security software on your computer that is stopping AS from accessing your documents folder. The 3rd and 4th boxed-sections on this knowledge base page offer solutions if Windows or Norton are blocking access. Although it would be unexpected for this to be the cause if it was working fine yesterday.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
patthepiper
Gold

Post by patthepiper »

My thanks to all who offered help.

At Nick's suggestion I viewed the four folders in AS Settings. The Source Template folder showed zero content, so I renamed it. When run, AS created a new folder showing 4KB content.

Magic! Many thanks, Nick.

Pat Dunbar