* Incorrect tooltips showing for census template

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Incorrect tooltips showing for census template

Post by Gary_G »

I created a 1926 Census (Prairies) template for Canada, based upon the 1931 Census of Canada. In general; It seems to be working, but has one glitch that I'm not sure how to solve.

I noticed that the correct "Column Title" doesn't seem to be showing as the tooltip for the column over which one is hovering. It seems to be taking a random column and using it for all selected columns. This behaviour persists even after exiting and re-entering AS v7.8.6

[Late addition] The behaviour seems to go beyond the current template. I've tried some of the pre-defined ones and the problem persists. Moreover; it's not even getting the heading used in the tooltip from the current template. I even exported my template, then deleted all user-defined templates and reset the pre-defined ones. I then exited and re-entered AS. When I tried checking the tooltips on some of the pre-defined templates, they were incorrect. Something is fouled up, but I'm not sure where to look.

Is there something special that I need to do to get this synchronized properly?
Last edited by Gary_G on 08 Feb 2024 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Incorrect tooltips showing for census template

Post by NickWalker »

I have no idea Gary. It works fine for me with your template and others I've tried. I've not had this issue reported by anyone else. Which version of Windows are you running?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

I'm running Windows 11 (ARM64 version) under Parallels on a Mac M1 Mini.
There are absolutely no customizations present and all other windows programs, including FH7, work perfectly.
I just checked to make sure that it is running the latest update for all the systems involved.
If everything works on your system, perhaps the AS I have has somehow become corrupt.
How can I save my configuration settings, so I can re-install AS and see if it helps.
I was "almost there" with how things need to work for me to start entering data and would hate to lose the settings.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Tooltips on grid controls are just a feature of .Net - I'm not doing any clever coding here. I don't think reinstalling AS would help because if it was corrupted in some way I can't imagine it would run. I expect it must be some kind of glitch with how the Arm 64 version is rendering the grid control. This isn't something I have any control over and I don't have an Arm PC to be able to test this.

If anyone else is seeing this issue I'd be interested to know - the tooltips have been there for 15 years now and I can't recall this being reported before.

Apart from being annoying it doesn't stop you entering data - the short titles should be enough for you to know which column you're entering data into?
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

AS template files are saved into the Ancestral Sources folder within the user documents folder. The main settings are stored in the Windows Registry but you can export these using Tools->Backup AS Settings. Reinstalling AS shouldn't change any of your settings but better to be safe than sorry.
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

I re-installed the most recent 64-bit AS from your website.

Unfortunately; the tool-tip problem persisted; even with the stock census templates. Everything else seems to work and you've noted that my temple works on your system.

That leads me to believe that one of the MS libraries used by AS differs between the Windows 11 ARM version and the one you are using. In any case; it is not a serious impediment to using AS and may well be beyond your power to address.

It would be interesting to see if any other Windows 11 ARM version users have seen the same issue. If they have, then it might be possible to report this to Microsoft and request them to investigate and possibly release a patch.
Gary Gauthier
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Just discovered a bit more about the issue and will record it here.

The tooltip text that is used is for the first column heading to which one points upon starting AS v7.8.6 (64 bit) under Windows 11 (ARM 64bit). It's almost as if, once set for the first time, the tooltip code is not seeing the new text for columns over which the mouse passes. If one exits and re-enters AS, then the tooltip text will be set to the first tooltip text it sees in that session.

Just to test a theory; I went to the FH7 main screen and hovered over various parts of the toolbar. In all cases, the correct tooltip text was displayed. This implies that tooltips can work correctly on Windows 11 (ARM 64 bit). However; AS and FH7 might use different libraries or methods to implement them. Alternatively; there could actually be a code bug in AS that only "comes to life" when used under Windows 11 (ARM 64 bit). The correct functioning of tooltips in FH7 is, however, puzzling.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

FH7 is not a .Net application. That is a key difference. You are looking at tooltips on the FH toolbar - are the tool tips wrong on the AS toolbar? I thought it was just the grid. Not sure if FH uses data grids anywhere.
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

You are likely correct about it being an issue with the .Net data grid code. Tooltips work elsewhere. It may be that the current version of .Net is not fully compatible with Windows 11 ARM64, since the ARM version is pretty new. Perhaps MS has updated or will update the .Net code to support the new offerings better? Will wait and see.
Gary Gauthier