* Editing names for census "Year or Description"

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Editing names for census "Year or Description"

Post by Gary_G »

Is there a way to edit the "Year or Description" is the census template definitions or do I need to copy and edit the template to form my own set?

Reason:
For Canada; the year alone doesn't accurately represent the scope of the census, since certain years weren't country-wide. If one wishes to use the "Year or Description" in a citation, some alteration is needed. The 1871 census could be a particular issue, since there are two versions in that year.

Suggestion:
Below; I've included the current descriptions on the Library and Archives Canada site for information.
As one can see, they are not exceedingly long, but essential for clarity. Perhaps ththe description could be modified in a future version of the predefined templates?
Canada - Available Census Returns.png
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Editing names for census "Year or Description"

Post by NickWalker »

You could certainly copy the census template and give it the description you want.

Although AS will help you to fill in the citation fields, it is unlikely it will fill in all of them and it is expected that you may need to edit them before saving so another approach is just to manually edit before saving.

AS has been around for 13 years now and I don't remember this being raised as an issue before so I wouldn't be inclined to make this change at this stage as it might cause annoyance to those who have been happily using it in the past. It would be relatively easy for someone to create these templates, export them and then they could be added as a download to the Knowledge Base here: https://www.fhug.org.uk/kb/download-typ ... l-sources/
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Re: Editing names for census "Year or Description"

Post by Gary_G »

This is not a hard issue to address, so editing the template works for me. Thanks.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!