* Confused wrt Find Duplicates

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ItsMePeter
Family Historian: V7

Confused wrt Find Duplicates

Post by ItsMePeter »

I have just run the "Find Duplicates" Plug-in on one of my Family Historian trees. The tree in question was downloaded from my Ancestry Account and I'm sure that over the years I will have made some schoolboy errors whilst compiling it.
I was hoping to use this plug-in to start my spring cleaning of this tree and the records within it. However looking at the results set from the first run of the plug-in. I'm confused by some of the results that the plug-in found.
In the results columns A and B (see attached screen grab) there are some entries that may be duplicates e.g. John Lee, though in a number of cases the name in column A does not equal the column B name.
That is where my confusion begins, I would welcome any thoughts/suggestions on how I should take this forward to clear up any schoolboy errors that I may have caused/created in this tree.

Thanks in Anticipation
Peter Stockton
Plug-in Results
Plug-in Results
FamilyHistorian-Find-Duplicates.jpg (336.29 KiB) Viewed 557 times
ItsMePeter
Researching Stockton, Stockdale, Ingledew and Laycock families in the UK.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Confused wrt Find Duplicates

Post by jbtapscott »

Without wishing to cause offense, have you checked through the significant amount of help for this plugin?.

It is certainly the case that the A and B names can be different (most of mine were when I started running the plugin!). However it can be the case that you have the same individual in FH with slight variations on a name (I had quite a few initially), so the plugin has to identify these. It is possible to slowly whittle down records that are "definitely not" duplicates and slowly build a list of these so that they are excluded from subsequent runs of the plugin.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hello Peter. This plugin uses a complex analysis of your Project to try and identify duplicated Individuals.
May I suggest you review its Help & Advice for a detailed explanation of its inner workings.
See https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ndividuals

It looks at much more than the Names of Individuals because it is easy for users to spot similar names in the FH Records Window on the Individuals tab.

A person can often be recorded in historical records with a variety of Names so the plugin is only looking for similarities and not identical names. Importantly, the plugin also analyses BMD dates & places of the Individual.
Furthermore, it applies a similar analysis to the parents, spouse, and children of each Individual.

Your results show that the pairs of Individuals mostly have only one slightly similar relative.

The plugin defaults to listing the top 100 results whether they are good matches or not.
Your results are very low-scoring at 7% or less and 23 or fewer points.
A good match would score 100 or more points, so you probably have no duplicates.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ItsMePeter

Post by ItsMePeter »

Thanks Mike and Brent,

I will read the Help & Advice pages associated with this Plug-in as linked for me by Mike. As I hadn't used the plug-in previously, I was confused by the results it produced. Hence my posting the question on what I was seeing.
I appreciate you taking time to respond and pointing me towards a source of learning.
Thanks again.
ItsMePeter
Researching Stockton, Stockdale, Ingledew and Laycock families in the UK.