* Merging or Deleting Source Templates

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
StephensKS
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Merging or Deleting Source Templates

Post by StephensKS »

I struggled a bit with editing source templates until I understood the Compare/Sync function and I ended up creating duplicative templates. I deleted the dups from the Source Template Definitions dialog, but they are still in the list when creating a new source. Is there any way to either delete the duplicate source template or merge it with the one I want to keep?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merging or Deleting Source Templates

Post by tatewise »

I've moved this to the Sources, Citations & Repositories forum.

Maybe you've not recognised the difference between Source Template Definitions and Source Template Records.

Source Template Definitions are managed via the Tools > Source Template Definitions... dialogue and are held globally external to all Projects.

Source Template Records are held within each Project and are a subset derived from the definitions above.
They can be merged like any other records via the Edit > Merge/Compare Records... dialogue that you know well from the Branch Merging (22539) discussion. That will preserve any Links from Source Records.
If a Source Template Record has zero Links then it can be safely deleted by selecting it in the Records Window Source Templates tab and hitting the Delete key.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
StephensKS
Gold

Post by StephensKS »

I couldn't figure out how to select Source Templates in the Merge dialog. I was trying to go from the Records Windows and that wasn't working because there is no tab for Source Templates. So, I tried a creating a custom query with the Query Type of "Source Template" and was able to open the Merge dialog from there. Thanks!
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

StephensKS wrote: 03 Jan 2024 19:43 ... there is no tab for Source Templates.
Use Tools > Preferences > Records Window > Record Type Display Options and for Source Templates set the option to either Always Show or Hide if none. (You must have the option set to Always hide.)
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FH in its infinite wisdom hides several Records Window tabs by default, but they do all exist.
Either use View > Other Record Lists > or use Tools > Preferences > Records Window tab and set all the Record Type Display Options to Always show.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
StephensKS
Gold

Post by StephensKS »

Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to spend some time going through all the preferences.