* [Wish List 631] Add titles to citations

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
KFN
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Add titles to citations

Post by KFN »

I’m rather new to FH and templates, but I’ve been experimenting a lot recently.

Templating in FH7 basically ignores all of the standard GEDCOM tag like Source_Record.PAGE and SOUR.AUTH when using provided templates. So when creating a template (unless you make a custom one) you will not see a PAGE or AUTH GEDCOM tag!

Because I bring a lot of GEDCOM compliant Source_Records and citations to FH7 I am forced to build my own templates (generic templates don’t meet my standards for citations) using mostly GEDCOM tag references but with better citation layout rather than the genetic ones.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry! The recent discussions with Vyger and now KFN have diverged from the original request and perhaps should be split off into another thread in the Sources, Citations & Repositories forum.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

tatewise wrote: 16 Jan 2024 14:57 Sorry! The recent discussions with Vyger and now KFN have diverged from the original request and perhaps should be split off into another thread in the Sources, Citations & Repositories forum.
First, my response, like yours, was to correct a misunderstanding presented.

Second, I’m not sure what the OP really needs. I think we need to define terms, based on the way splitters vs lumpers see citation data storage.
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

tatewise wrote: 16 Jan 2024 13:09 It seems that RootsMagic 7 used the PAGE field but RootsMagic 8 & 9 use the NAME field.
But as explained on Tue 31st Oct 2023 22:57 and agreed by others, NAME is not a standard GEDCOM Citation field and should have an underscore prefix such as _NAME. So RootsMagic 8 & 9 are producing invalid GEDCOM.
Mike, I'm aware _SHAR and _SORT have become like de facto standards but the use of the standard "3 PAGE" by Rootsmagic does confuse me. I believe I did read somewhere it was in Gedcom7 standard but can't point to that.

To be clear Rootsmagic 7, 8 & 9 concatenate the templated data fields into a standard PAGE line, Rootsmagic 8 & 9 in addition add the Citation NAME tag.

For Lumpers especially the Citation Name (Title) bringing about the shared citation concept where one edit updates all is a welcome feature. So regardless of Gedcom support this always had my support.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

Wish List item 631 has been created. Please vote for it to let Calico Pie know if you wish to see this feature introduced.
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

Vyger wrote: 16 Jan 2024 16:35 Mike, I'm aware _SHAR and _SORT have become like de facto standards but the use of the standard "3 PAGE" by Rootsmagic does confuse me. I believe I did read somewhere it was in Gedcom7 standard but can't point to that.
No. The 3 PAGE tag is not just from GEDCOM 7! I’ve seen it in at least v5, and I think it was in v4 as well.

Back to what the OP wants, please!
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

KFN wrote: 16 Jan 2024 17:48 Back to what the OP wants, please!
Kevin, thank you and please see the comment previous to yours.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: [Wish List 631] Add titles to citations

Post by tatewise »

I thought users were supposed to agree on the wording of a Wish List proposal before it gets created.

The PAGE tag has been a standard GEDCOM citation field for as long as I can remember.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry