* Task List

Questions about the facilities for planning and tracking your research within FH
Mxy
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Task List

Post by Mxy »

I am running version 7.0.22.

Hi folks, is it possible to access a task list for the individual being viewed in the focus window? A right-click on the individual or perhaps a double click? By task list I mean research yet to do, work to be done etc for that individual. Thanks in advance.
sbell95
Famous

Re: Task List

Post by sbell95 »

That entirely depends on what you have done to add tasks to a so-named task list. Are you using notes or research notes, perhaps?
Sarah Bell – Australia
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If a person is shown in the Focus Window and they are the Focus person their Property Box should be on display.
Clicking any other person's Focus box will display their Property Box.

Click the Notes tab of the Property Box to list attached Notes and Research Notes.

Click on any of the listed items to show the details in the lower pane.

Use the Add Note button to attach Notes and Research Notes to that person's Property Box.

A very different approach is to add such research notes to the Note box in the Main tab of the Property Box.
The Property Box is displayed as explained above and a double-click on the Note box will display the details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mxy
Gold

Post by Mxy »

To sbell95, short answer I don't think either. I found a topic regarding named lists | work in progress. I created an entry and then went looking for it. That generated my question. The named lists seems to create a list which is not associated with the individual but I couldn't confirm that so the possibility remains I just am not looking in the proper place to view it. Regarding notes, if by that you mean 'Notes' in the property box of the individual then no. I have argued back and forth with myself regarding that though. For now, I have set that aside for information regarding the individual which doesn't easily fit elsewhere. "A huge Cottonwood tree, which is still there today (June 5, 2011), marks the location of their front yard." The reason I made that choice is because the information in these 'Notes' appears in reports I generate through the app. I am not sure what you mean by research notes. That sounds more like what I am looking for. I will check into that a bit further. Thanks.
Mxy
Gold

Post by Mxy »

Thanks tatewise for leading me to the location of 'Research Notes'. I'll give that a shot. Perhaps a 'Research Note' does not appear in reports...or at least gives me the option to not have them appear.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Research Notes do NOT appear in reports (except for reports solely containing Research Notes).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Research Note records were added to FH V7 and are listed in the Records Window on the Research Notes tab.

Research Note records are not usually included in standard reports although I think it may be possible with some customisation.

There is the Publish > Miscellaneous Reports > Research Notes option but they are not ideally formatted.
Better is the Publish > Custom Reports > Research Note Report with Options but that must be downloaded from the Plugin Store.

Research Note reports can also be included in published Books uisng the latter custom report.
Mxy
Gold

Post by Mxy »

Earlier I mentioned I had created an entry under Named Lists > Work In Progress but couldn't find the entry...well it is displayed when I selected the Notes tab > Add Note > Shared Research Note. I selected it and it is now displaying under the Notes tab. Very confusing at my level. Perhaps Named Lists was the old way of doing it prior to v7. I haven't been using the app long enough to know. Note tab > Add Note > Shared Research Note is much better for me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Research Notes and Named Lists are completely separate features of FH V7.
It seems you have only ever been using FH V7 because you started posting here in 2021.
So both those features have always been available.

The Named List called Work in Progress is a legacy from earlier FH versions that had no Research Notes.
It is revealed in the Records Window by using the menu Lists > Named Lists Pane command or clicking the Name Lists Pane button in the toolbar and offers a way of identifying a set of records.
image.png
image.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Named Lists can be used to list records for any purpose you like so is a general-purpose feature.

Research Notes are a more advance feature for managing research in a more focused manner.