* Error message running Export Gedcom plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
rcpettit
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Error message running Export Gedcom plugin

Post by rcpettit »

Just did a fresh install of windows and familyhistorian 7. Reinstalling the plugins I use, I found that version 5.6 of the Export Gedcom File plugin gives the following error message shown.
Screenshot 2023-12-28 163510.png
Screenshot 2023-12-28 163510.png (53.3 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Running FH and the plugin on my linux machine it works fine. Version 5.5 and older worked fine.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Error message running Export Gedcom plugin

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about that.

At what stage through the plugin running does the error arise?
Is it even before the Preparing User Dialogue Progress bar or at some later point?

Since running the earlier versions successfully, does V5.6 still fail?

Have you restored all the FH customisation settings using one of the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugins?

The error message is not very helpful but it may involve creating folders, probably in the C:\ProgramData\ folder.
Are FH custom Diagram and Report types saved successfully?

Try reinstalling the FH V7 .exe file using right-click Run as administrator.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rcpettit
Diamond

Post by rcpettit »

The message was coming up just after you start the plugin. I did as you suggested and started FH in admin mode and plugin worked fine. Restarted normally, now also works. Must be windows, computer has been acting funny since last update.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You say you started FH in admin mode. Are you saying you ran the fh.exe file using Run as administrator?

If so that is not what I suggested. I said reinstall install_fh7.0.22.0.exe using Run as administrator.

It sounds like it may be a file access privileges issue where running fh.exe using Run as administrator may be a temporary fix but other file access issues may surface later.

Reinstalling FH is the permanent fix.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry