* Changes to Roots Magic sync to Ancestry and Family Search

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Changes to Roots Magic sync to Ancestry and Family Search

Post by BillH »

For those who export from FH to Roots Magic and then sync to Ancestry or Famiy Search there is an important notice from Roots Magic.

https://mailchi.mp/rootsmagic/a-fs-changes?e=93c9c6ed0e
Bill Henshaw
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Changes to Roots Magic sync to Ancestry and Family Search

Post by Mark1834 »

Far be it for me to comment here on the commercial practices of an FH competitor ;), but my reading of the situation is that the free RM9 Essentials will continue to support one-off interaction with Ancestry (e.g., downloading an Ancestry tree with media, or a standalone upload via the Ancestry Sync plugin), as it has already been upgraded to support Ancestry’s new 2FA login.

However, updating an Ancestry tree via the plugin will require the full version of RM9. I’ll probably wait for the change to be implemented before I change anything in the plugin, so I can confirm directly that RM7/8 no longer work.

I recall that Ancestry previously dropped support for the old FTM sync process, forcing users to upgrade to the Mac Kiev versions, so there is a downside to getting into bed with these large corporates.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Changes to Roots Magic sync to Ancestry and Family Search

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Point taken, Mark. I apologise, and have deleted the comment.