* Map Life Facts plugin with Bing Maps support

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Map Life Facts plugin with Bing Maps support

Post by tatewise »

There is clearly a problem with the way Leaflet Maps are rendered with a large resolution monitor.

Can I check that you have read all the Help & Advice pages associated with each tab and the FAQ page.

Is the Status error explained in the FAQ page under How should Status: Geocoder API error messages be handled?
If not then what exactly is the error message?
How many Place records are you trying to geocode in one batch?
The Google free limit is 15,000 plots per day, so if you have more than 15,000 Place names you've probably hit that limit.

If you're only interested in geocoding Places synced with FH Place records (the default setting) then Database Management is unlikely to be of any interest to you.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

If I use Leaflet maps and maximize the window to full screen then I get similar results. Only the right side of the +/- boxes show. The + and - symbols are completely missing. My monitor is set to 1920X1080. Scaling is set to 100%.

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 2688 times

If I don't maximize the window and make it as small as possible everything looks fine. If I gradually make the window larger, the +/- boxes start to disappear.

image2.jpg
image2.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Bill
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Mike,
I have read the Help & Advice, several times, but not the FAQ. I have now done so and re-run GeoCode All again.
The Status showed a Good or Partial match most of the time but once came up with Gecode API Key Required, and then moved on. I guess what I saw before was a glitch. The Statistics now show just 384 Total, 383 Tentative and 1 No Data, so well inside the API limit. I went on to find the No Data place, it was a single word Place and easy to correct.
Now going back to read Help & Advice again to try and understand what the mapping features offer. :D
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've found some adjustments that alter the 'size' of the Map Pane display and may cope with different screen resolutions.
I'm thinking about how best to experiment with those adjustments for your screen resolutions.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike. If you need some test runs just ask.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

I'd be happy to test as well if need be.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Map Life Facts plugin with Bing and Geoapify support

Post by tatewise »

Try the attached Map Life Facts plugin Version 5.2.6 Date 09 May 2023.

Peter, does it display the Web Page Map Options tab, Facts Filter: label correctly?

That tab, as shown below, has experimental settings for Map Pane Size % and Map Pane Scale %.
The size setting adjusts the % width and height of the pane occupied by the map.
The scale setting adjusts the % zoom of the map, i.e. larger values enlarge the buttons and text on the map.
As each change is made the Map Pane is immediately redisplayed somewhere in Africa but without the five marker pins.

BTW: This version remembers the Status: of each plotted location throughout the plugin session.

WebPageMapOptions.png
WebPageMapOptions.png (175.92 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Last edited by tatewise on 12 Jul 2023 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted as Version 5.3 is in the Plugin Store.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike, a distinct improvement.
Reducing the Map Pane Size to 97/98 % brought the Zoom and RH Icon onto the screen, however they remain very very small. The Hover Tip for the RH Icon is so small it is unreadable. The Facts Filter checkbox displays OK.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Peter but you have confused me.
You say you reduced Map Pane Size to 97/98 % but as shown in my screenshot it starts at 96%.
Have you tried increasing the Map Pane Scale which I had expected to enlarge the icons and tooltip text, etc?
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Yes I played with the Pane Size % and the screenshot was taken after, but the 97/98% was the maximum for appearance of the Zoom Control.
I did alter the Pane Scale and it did not seem to provide any changes to the two map controls or their tooltips.
It did change the map however, it jumped from London UK to somewhere in Africa ??
I also changed the Pane Scale by typing a new value and then the Enter key. The Plugin crashed and went back to the Plugin selection window.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have updated the plugin Attachment download in my earlier posting to allow editing the % values.
Yes, the map will jump to Africa.

The % change of Scale needs to be significant to have any noticeable effect.
i.e. 100% to 150% increase should enlarge icons and text by 50%, and an increase to 200% should double their size.

Since your resolution is about twice mine, I would expect 150% to 200% may be needed.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

This version fixes the problems I was seeing with Leaflet Maps. The +/- controls appear corrrectly no matter what size I make the window including maximized.

Thanks,
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thanks Bill. I had a similar problem to yours but not quite so far off the edge.
This plugin V5.2.6 sets the map default width & height to 96% instead of 100% which is just enough to move the buttons.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

V5.2.6
Glad to read Bill's issues are solved.

Starting with both settings at 100%
Reducing Map Pane Size moves the map left, 98% shows the +/- zoom keys.
Typing 200 into the Pane Scale box shrinks the map to a few inches top LH corner. Pressing Enter then crashes it.
Running the Plugin again it opens up at Scale 20%. Adding the missing '0' and Enter crashes it again.
Opening again the Zoom +/- are a good size but the RH Icon is missing. Reducing it to 100% does not bring it back.

Typing in 200 Pane Size sometimes seems to initially go via 2%, bringing up the code window at the 'stack traceback' line. 'Continue' removes the code window but does not restore the Map size, it is still tiny and in the top left corner. The Pane Scale value shows 200.
Highlighting it and pressing Enter crashes the Plug In again.

I could also crash it via the 'stack traceback' window by repeated clicks on the Pane Size up arrow.
:(
Sorry to be such a pain about this.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No need to apologize Peter. I've thrown the changes together just as an experiment to get a handle on the problem.

Do not press the Return key as that invokes the default in focus button which is Close Plugin.

Simply entering the Map Pane Size or Map Pane Scale values should be enough to display the adjusted map.

For me, it is only when either value is significantly less than 100% and the other is about 100% that displays a small map.
I find that as the Scale increases and the Size decreases the map icons and text enlarge and the map fills the pane.
I would expect a Size of about 70% and Scale of about 150% might be good starting values for you.

Try the attached plugin Version 5.2.7 which tries to keep the top left corner of the map in the top left corner of the pane.
Reducing Size or Scale will shrink the map into the top left corner.
Increasing Size or Scale should expand the map, with increased Scale enlarging the icons and text.
Last edited by tatewise on 12 Jul 2023 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

70/150 settings were fine except the RH Icon was not on the screen however the top LH corner seemed anchored.
The missing Icon came into useable view when I changed it to 67/150 and looked good at 65/150.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems from your feedback and my experiments that if the product of Size x Scale = 9800 then the map display is OK.
So I have modified the Web Page Map Options tab to have a Map Pane Legends setting ranging from Tiny to Huge which changes the size of the map legends, icons, tooltip text, etc, while keeping the map pane size consistent.

See attached Map Life Facts plugin Version 5.2.8 Date 10 May 2023. Does it work for your screen resolution?

It also fixes some first-time user scenarios with messages initially advising the creation of API Keys and subsequently how to start geocoding Locations. They had become slightly disrupted by post FH V7 changes.
Last edited by tatewise on 13 Jul 2023 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

That seem better than fine, fantastic!
One small comment. Increasing the Map Pane Legend from Medium to Large did just that, but it also zoomed the map.
Not a problem but was that intentional?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It increases the size of the place name legends on the map, which may give the appearance of zoom.
Remember that the Map Zoom: settings are defaults that apply when a few markers are clustered centrally to stop the map from zooming in too far. When there are several markers spread apart, the map will automatically zoom out and pan to fit all the markers into the display.
However, it does seem that the Map Zoom: setting does change when the Map Pane Legends: setting is changed. So I will look into that and see if it can be preserved.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Map Life Facts plugin Version 5.3 Date 11 Jul 2023 is now in the Plugin Store with updated Help & Advice pages.

Please review the Help & Advice pages and let me know if anything needs improving as there have been quite a few changes.

I did look into the Map Pane Legends setting affecting the Map Zoom and made a small change that improves things.

All the prototype plugin attachments to earlier postings will shortly be deleted.
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

Good morning Mike,

Again, thank you for all your work and feedback on Family Historian!

One of the features that caused me to finally leave Legacy was their abandonment of Maps, and the fact that FH claimed it had it. Though I've had poor results with mapping in FH, I jumped on the chance to acquire the Bing API hoping to get mapping to work well.

I put the API Key information and ran it for the first time last night. It quit at 52% with an error which follows. I realize that the error could be caused by my data so I thought I'd pass it along for examination. I pressed Continue, but it's still on 52% with no indication of it working.

[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:3883: COM exception:(d:\my\lua\luacom-master\src\library\tluacom.cpp,382):The server name or address could not be resolved

stack traceback:
[C]: in method 'Send'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:3883: in function 'StrGeocodeLocation'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:5953: in upvalue 'doGeocodePlot'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:5995: in function <[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:5986>
(...tail calls...)
[C]: in function 'iuplua.MainLoop'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:2696: in field 'ShowDialogue'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:7517: in function 'GUI_MainDialogue'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:9341: in main chunk
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about that. You will have to use Task Manager to end the FH processes.
Continue is very useful in this case and using Exit to terminate FH is the only option.

Does the error message: The server name or address could not be resolved give any details of the name/address?

Often with such geocoding there are limits imposed by the Bing server, which may have upset things.
What happens if you run FH again? It should start geocoding from where it left off.
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

Mike, in answer to your first question about suspect Server error, "COM exception:(d:\my\lua\luacom-master\src\library\tluacom.cpp,382):The server name or address could not be resolved" stands out since it looks like a local path that does not exist. While there is a D: drive, it is a backup drive with none of that path name.

I ran Map Life Facts again and made it a little further. It appears to stop at some place names it doesn't like. I'm working from that end before trying it again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

trevithick wrote: 28 Nov 2023 03:11 Mike, in answer to your first question about suspect Server error, "COM exception:(d:\my\lua\luacom-master\src\library\tluacom.cpp,382):The server name or address could not be resolved" stands out since it looks like a local path that does not exist. While there is a D: drive, it is a backup drive with none of that path name.

I ran Map Life Facts again and made it a little further. It appears to stop at some place names it doesn't like. I'm working from that end before trying it again.
Some explicit examples of paths that do not exist and place names the plugin does not like would be very helpful.
I may be able to make the plugin more tolerant of such abnormalities.
The COM Server name should not involve anything on your PC as it should be an online web link. So I'm confused.

PLEASE do NOT fix all the problems. I would like you to be able to test an updated version of the plugin against the problems to check that it handles your anomalies in a more user-friendly fashion. If you fix everything then that won't be possible.
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

Mike, is there a way to export a Named List? I made one of the Place Names in my Project. I've copied and pasted it to a text file if that will help, but surely there is a better way as this results in a very messy file.

The Map Life Facts Plugin Error that I included in my first message was the entirety of the copied error. I will include it as an attached text file.

I will cease corrections till you've reviewed, or commented on this.
Attachments
Map Life Runtime Error.txt
(900 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times