* Full Backup

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
peterbel
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Full Backup

Post by peterbel »

Mike Yes it is the ^ popup and No there is no OneDrive Icon there or anywhere else on the Notification bar.
I was wrong OneDrive is an App so I have Uninstalled and re-installed it.
I chose to place the local OneDrive folder in a new position and there is now an Icon in the bar and it is 'processing'
Looking promising except the Folder choice in setup was no choice, just 'standard' folders.
OneDrive setup.JPG
OneDrive setup.JPG (82.82 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Excellent!
What are you doing about the old OneDrive folder which should still exist and may become confusing in future?
Once the new OneDrive folder is fully synced with all necessary folders I advise you delete the old OneDrive folder or at least rename it.

Your screenshot is for an option in the Sync & backup tab to Back up important PC folders to OneDrive and yes it only includes the standard Windows folders.
However, if your FH Project Location is the default path it is in OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects and thus included in the standard Documents folder.

Back on the Sync & backup tab under Advanced settings I advise you set Files On-Demand to Off to ensure a copy of each file is retained on your PC. Otherwise, the OneDrive cloud store is not a backup but the one and only master copy.

To select other folders use the Account tab and Choose folders...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thank Mike et al.
Perhaps I didn't get things quite right as the FH folder is still stuck at Feb 22 !! On reflection I should, as you said Mike, deleted it, before re-installing.
I have gone into my OD Account to Chose Folders, it listed all the one I had before. However the same culprits are still not up to date.
I think I will repeat the uninstall re-install process again, but this time with a OD folder delete between.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Success !! :D
Deleting the OD folder between uninstall and re-install made the difference.
I'll now not need to use FH's Backups, I will rely on OD and my NAS syncing.

I will now investigate the OD options to make sure it is doing what I need.
bjayinoz

Post by bjayinoz »

LornaCraig wrote: 10 Nov 2023 21:36 To take a screenshot of a pop-up with the Snipping Tool, set the Delay to 5 seconds before clicking New. You then have 5 seconds to produce the pop-up again before the tool comes into action.
Another way to do this, not involving time delays..
In the snipping tool, select New. The screen will grey out, ready to snip (and of course the pop up has disappeared). Hit the ESCape key, the screen returns to normal, but the snipping tool is actually still active.
Do whatever is required to get the pop up on screen again and then hit Control-PrintScreen. The screen greys out to allow selection of the area to snip, but any pop up will still be visible.

There is nearly always more than one way to do anything on a PC - just pick the one that works for you

Brian
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

tatewise wrote: 10 Nov 2023 22:27
How do you get the popup feature? Is it only a Windows Pro feature?
Mike,

If you click on the date at the far right of the Desktop task bar a Calendar and Notifications box should pop-up.

A right click should display cogwheels for date/ time and Notifications settings options
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Interesting side issues and suggestions, thanks.

One thing I am am not totally happy with regarding OD is how it seems to have made the syncd folders, online, and some actions are now showing slight delays. Is this usual?
One different and perhaps, extreme example, is how it stopped PuTTY logging until I moved the log location away from the Desktop to its own folder on the C drive. Desktop is one of ODs syncd folders.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

One additional comment on One Drive.
Apparently WIn10 comes with it and it is the OD folder I see in Explorer, which is stuck in the past. The cloud version appears to be up to date. I think this could be the root of my confusion, but then it doesn't take much!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Usually it is the OneDrive folder in File Explorer that syncs with the cloud.
Click the OneDrive cloud icon in the Notification Area and click Open folder ~ what folder does it open?

Also, View online will open the online cloud version.

Please explain the evidence you have to say the folder is stuck in the past but the cloud is up to date.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike for following this thread.
The Open Folder points to the OD folder on my PC ??
My evidence M'lud:
One Drive 1.JPG
One Drive 1.JPG (69.04 KiB) Viewed 417 times
One Drive 2.JPG
One Drive 2.JPG (103.99 KiB) Viewed 417 times
Please don't ask about the Morons!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It looks like you have two \Family History\Projects\ folder structures.
One is directly on the PC Windows C: drive and the other is in the OneDrive - Personal folder.
Are both Photos folders sorted by the same column, i.e. Name or Date?

Presumably, the C: drive copy is the one being used by FH.
What is the FH File > Project Window > Location: setting?

My suspicion is that refers to C:\Family History\Projects which is quite separate from the OneDrive copy that you have created somehow in the past but is not currently used by FH.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Sorry for the delay in replying, too many other things on.
Yes they are both sorted on the dates.
The location in FH is listed as C:\Family History\Projects.

I suppose the acid test would be to check the Cloud 'copy' includes the most recent changes.
Do you know if there is an easy way to do that?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, C:\Family History\Projects is NOT in the OneDrive - Personal folder so is not synched with the cloud.

The folders that happen to have the same name in the OnerDrive - Personal folder are physically distinct.
e.g. Rename this Family History folder and it will have no effect on your FH Family History Projects.

Does that all make sense to you, because you don't seem to have grasped the significance of folders inside OneDrive and folders outside OneDrive?

I assume you want your active FH Projects to be automatically saved to OneDrive to act as a backup.
Do you also want the entire Family History folder contents moved to OneDrive?

If so then we can discuss the process of checking the free space on OneDrive and moving your FH folders there.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

You are right I don't think I have grasped the One Drive principals. I thought the chosen folders were sync'd to the Cloud account and were made visible/available in OD Personal in Explorer.

Yes, if I am to stop using the FH Full Backup I would like OD to take its place and that is what I thought I had done !
Looking at the OD Settings it shows me I have used 41.5 GB out of 100 GB.
C:\Family History is 22 GB
C:\Family History\Projects shows as 5 GB
So it looks like I have room to sync C:\Family History, which would be good.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Inspect the OneDrive Settings for Choose Folders which only offers those within the OneDrive - Personal folder.
I suspect you were being fooled by the OneDrive - Personal\Family History\Projects folder which is not the one being used by FH at C:\Family History\Projects but just happens to have the same name.

Please follow these steps to get your FH Projects backed up in OneDrive.
If anything is not clear then please ask and don't guess!
  1. Use File Explorer to Rename the existing OneDrive - Personal\Family History folder to be OneDrive - Personal\Family History Old to preserve it and distinguish it from the C:\Family History folder.
  2. Use File Explorer to Copy the entire C:\Family History folder into OneDrive - Personal so you have OneDrive - Personal\Family History holding all your curent FH related files and Projects.
  3. Use the OneDrive Settings for Choose Folders to ensure OneDrive - Personal\Family History is included.
  4. Use FH and change the File > Project Window > Location: to refer to the newly created OneDrive - Personal\Family History\Projects folder.
  5. Allow OneDrive to synch all those new folders.
  6. Check that the FH Projects operate satisfactorily and there are no Media broken links, etc.
  7. If all is OK then you can use File Explorer to Delete the C:\Family History folder to ensure it never gets confused with the copy in OneDrive - Personal.
In due course review the contents of the OneDrive - Personal\Family History Old folder.
Does it hold anything that is not in the OneDrive - Personal\Family History folder?
If so then move those files into the OneDrive - Personal\Family History folder.
Then you can delete the OneDrive - Personal\Family History Old folder.
Double-check everything is satisfactory within one month so that if any files are missing they can be restored from the Recycle Bin on your PC or in OneDrive online.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike for the step by step instructions. If I had known it was as easy as copy and pasting folders to the OD Personal folder I would have done it ages ago! I was puzzled why Setting > Choose Folders didn't let choose anything, just view what had already been chosen. However it is now all done and is up to date.
I will let things all settle for while until I have had a chance to check out the changes are correct and then perhaps start removing the redundant folders.
Thanks again