* Ancestral Sources v7.8.6 Beta Testing (November 2023)

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestral Sources v7.8.4 Beta Testing (November 2023)

Post by fhtess65 »

I tend to agree - having the option for Auto capitalization would be ideal - I too try whenever possible, to transcribe fully, including the case used by the enumerator (or household in 1911 and 1921)... That said, I'm not wedded to it...just grateful for AS making my genealogy work so much easier :)
BillH wrote: 15 Nov 2023 23:40 I'm not sure if this matters, but I don't necessarily want the auto capitalization in all fields. I like to enter it in AS as it was actually entered onto the census form by the enumerator. At least here in the U.S. , especially in censuses taken in the1800's, enumerators sometimes used all lower case letters. Maybe if the auto capitalization is added for other columns it could be made optional?

Bill
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Just to clarify, I am not asking for anything new, using lower case used to work in previous versions so it appears as though a bug has crept in.

Brian
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

brianlummis wrote: 16 Nov 2023 17:24 Just to clarify, I am not asking for anything new, using lower case used to work in previous versions so it appears as though a bug has crept in.

Brian
The work I did to deal with the reported issues (in all earlier versions of AS) where it wasn't possible to correct an error with the case of text in a drop-down list in the census grid, were actually very complex and required significant changes to core code - this issue is a knock on effect of that. I'll have a think about how to solve this.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources v7.8.5 Beta Testing (November 2023)

Post by NickWalker »

I am hoping this is a good compromise solution to the issue reported.

New Features in v7.8.5 (Beta Test)
  • The changes to drop-down lists in the census grid caused issues for users who enter data in lower case and have been accustomed to this being automatically matched with a capitalised version in the drop-down list. This should now be fixed but will still allow the case to be changed if required, which was the reason for the change introduced in v7.8.3. Thanks to Brian Lummis for reporting this.
The 64 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.8.5 64 Bit
The 32 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.8.5 32 Bit
You may get warnings about the download not being commonly downloaded and you may need to confirm you definitely want to install it. Based on previous experience this should eventually stop happening once this new version of AS gets more downloads.

Please report in this thread any issues you spot or email me (nick at ancestralsources dot com).
Nick Walker

brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Many thanks, Nick, for the new version. I have had a quick check and the automatic capitalisation seems to work as before.

Brian
Medows
Gold

Post by Medows »

Hi Nick,
I didnt know abot these new beta releases. I have seen the compromise you have made with the Find ID and on my first test it works with the field being highligted which means I can write directly into the field without having to do {Ctrl+A} and {Del}.

I have seen your new STemplate so I will test this with the Autotext template with some of my sources.

Alan
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources v7.8.6 Beta Testing (November 2023)

Post by NickWalker »

Another beta test version that should fix an issue reported in a recent thread on the forum.

New Features in v7.8.6 (Beta Test)
  • In v7.5, released last year, a new option was added to the Copy Image File dialogue for it to remember your response so that it doesn't show again for the current project. Sue Herrington reported that this wasn't working correctly if the option to copy the image to the root of the Media folder was used, rather than the default option to choose a sub-folder. Apologies for any problems this may have caused but it should now work correctly.
The 64 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.8.6 64 Bit
The 32 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.8.6 32 Bit
You may get warnings about the download not being commonly downloaded and you may need to confirm you definitely want to install it. Based on previous experience this should eventually stop happening once this new version of AS gets more downloads.

Please report in this thread any issues you spot or email me (nick at ancestralsources dot com).
Nick Walker