* [Wish List Entry 622&623] Define media search location

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Jackson
Gold
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List Entry 622&623] Define media search location

Post by Jackson »

I would like to see a way to limit the areas searched for missing media. An option for the drive or folders (including those subfolders) and possibly having it show the current location of the search would also be nice although I'm sure it would slow it down a lot.

My most recent search on an import was for 215 files which it found 212 almost immediately, I knew the other 3 were actually missing for good, but FH continued searching and I canceled it after it hit 250,000 folders. I assume it was also checking all drives but really couldn't see where it was checking.
Vyger
Famous

Re: Define media search location

Post by Vyger »

I have made many comparison videos on Media related items and Family Historian still tops all the software I have compared, however there are little tweaks which could make the software more friendly and informative. Comparisons are good for development so I will make some of those comparisons here.

The first comparison I became aware of with my previous software was that there was no ability to target the scope of where to search for Broken Media Links. That meant Family Historian was presumably searching the ~7TB of physical drives I usually have mounted rather than the 57GB of my genealogy related files, that becomes a very time consuming process.

broken-links-scope.png
broken-links-scope.png (15.8 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Yes I might want to use that sledgehammer approach on occasions but that would be rare, generally I just want to point and restrict the scope of the search to that of my Genealogy files. That would make the process a lot quicker and not something which overly interrupts work flow.

broken-links-selection.png
broken-links-selection.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Lastly, as mentioned by the OP, Family Historian provides no indication of where it is presently searching so provides no useful progress information to enable the user to STOP the process if it has proceeded outside their normal scope of folders for Media Files.

broken-links-progress.png
broken-links-progress.png (7.11 KiB) Viewed 674 times

I have had many new users believing that Family Historian does not have a Fix Broken Links utility so I would like to add as a related observation that I believe replicating the selection from Tools > External File Links to a selection under the Media menu would be a more intuitive selection location for users.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Useful comparison, Jackson. FTM has a similar function as well, but I can’t remember what feedback it gives.

Incidentally, some maintenance on your system disk soon might be appropriate! :)
Mark Draper
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I must look at FTM.

New build is in the garage, 256GB M2 system drive and primary data drive doubled as well. Another good reason for user targeted search options. ;)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Vyger wrote: 16 Oct 2023 18:54 I believe replicating the selection from Tools > External File Links to a selection under the Media menu would be a more intuitive selection location for users.
I think I would raise that as a separate item on the Wish List.
Vyger
Famous

Re: [Wish List Entry 622&623] Define media search location

Post by Vyger »

Wish List entry 622 has been created
Wish List entry 623 has been created