* Emigration

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Emigration

Post by Johnr65 »

As I go through my tree, it seems that a lot of people emigrated to different parts of the World, mainly the Commonwealth but other countries too. Is there a way of listing the emigrees by their death place?
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Emigration

Post by Mark1834 »

You need a query that tabulates Emigration Place (to) and Death, with a row selector to exclude if the Emigration is null. You can then tailor it to exactly what you want to display (e.g. a specific column for death place).

Is that sufficient to point you in the right direction? It will be good Query practice if you haven't created a custom one before.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark1834 wrote: 26 Oct 2023 12:45 You need a query that tabulates Emigration Place (to) and Death, with a row selector to exclude if the Emigration is null. You can then tailor it to exactly what you want to display (e.g. a specific column for death place).
This assumes there's an actual Emigration (or Immigration) event. John might be more interesting in seeing people who dies in a country that is different from their birth, to spot people who should have an Emigration event but don't, for example.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes, Helen this is exactly what I want, as some people emigrated before records were started. Could you please show me in diagram form how to set it up?
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

John - the exact details will depend on how you have set up your place records. I assume you can generate a simple query listing birth and death places (if not, review the help and/or KB descriptions).

The slightly tricky part is extracting the country from the place. If you have a strict format with the country always in the same column, the TextPart() function will do it for you. If not, it might be easier to export the results to Excel or similar and process there.

AFAIK, FH queries can't compare columns and only select records where they differ, but I'm happy to learn new tricks as well if it can be done without a simple plugin.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Remember that the TextPart() function can extract the last part of a Place. e.g. =TextPart( %INDI.BIRT.PLAC%, -1 )
So if the country is always the last comma-separated part then each country can be extracted easily.

Queries can compare any text values such as those produced by the TextPart() function.
So a Rows tab filter can exclude people with identical Birth and Death countries.
It will probably need an IsTrue() function to encapsulate the compare expression.
e.g. =IsTrue( TextPart( %INDI.BIRT.PLAC%, -1 ) = TextPart( %INDI.DEAT.PLAC%, -1 ) )
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Good addition, thanks. The same technique seems to work for comparing dates as well (in the style =IsTrue(date1 < > or = date2), so that's a useful addition to the toolbox...
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, see the Help on Operators that mentions IsTrue at the very end.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

On investigation, I concluded that the expressions get quite involved if a thorough check is required.

I assume people with an Emigration or Immigration event should be excluded from the list.
e.g. Exclude if =Exists(%INDI.EMIG%) is true
If other 'travel' facts are used then they can be excluded too.

I assume that the country is always the last comma-separated part of each Place name.
So they can be isolated by using functions such as TextPart( %INDI.BIRT.PLAC%, -1, 1, TIDY )

People with no Birth, Baptism or Christening country can be excluded.
People with no Death, Burial or Cremation country can be excluded.
e.g. Exclude if =Text( TextPart(%INDI.BIRT.PLAC%,-1,1,TIDY) . TextPart(%INDI.BAPM.PLAC%,-1,1,TIDY) . TextPart(%INDI.CHR.PLAC%,-1,1,TIDY) ) is null

I assume each Birth, Baptism & Christening country must be checked with each Death, Burial & Cremation country. If they are the same and not blank then that person can be excluded from the list.
e.g Exclude if =IsTrue( (TextPart(%INDI.BIRT.PLAC%,-1,1,TIDY) = TextPart(%INDI.DEAT.PLAC%,-1,1,TIDY) ) and Not( TextPart(%INDI.BIRT.PLAC%,-1,1,TIDY) = "") ) is true

That results in the attached Emigration Individual Query that works for the Family Historian Sample Project and other Projects that I've tested.
Attachments
Emigration.fhq
(5.44 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

This query doesn't work, Mike. It shows deaths in this country as well as abroad? Can it not just show death place ?See:
Screenshot 2023-10-27 134848.png
Screenshot 2023-10-27 134848.png (65.34 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

If abroad?
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

The Muswell Hill entry has a full stop (Period) after England, so is different to England without the full stop.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

General word of advice with my old technical trainer hat on…

Make sure you understand the principles of what the query is doing. Build up your own example first so you can tailor it to your data and what you want to show.

It’s always easier to build up complexity one step at a time, rather than trying to simplify a highly detailed example that you may not fully understand. You’ll then be much better placed to build your own examples in the future, just as I have picked up some useful tips on FH functions, which I haven’t used very often.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Johnr65 ~ As others have said ~ some of the country names are inconsistent.
e.g.
Poole, Dorset, England.
Muswell Hill, Middlesex, England.
They have a dot at the end of England so are considered a different country to England without a dot.

The Query reports people born/baptised/christened in a different country to their death/burial/cremation.

I assumed you wanted to see anyone who emigrated from any country to any other country and not just those who emigrated from the UK to somewhere abroad.
e.g. Austria to USA, Ireland to England, etc.

What exactly do you mean by "this country"?
The Query could exclude deaths in England, but what about deaths in Scotland, Wales, or Ireland?

Anyway, no Query is likely to be perfect. Just ignore the entries that don't fit your criteria.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I'm looking for the people who emigrated from the UK to anywhere.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

John, there is no simple way to amend the query Mike has created to you to handle the fact that you have entered some places with a full stop at the end and some without.

It may be easiest for you just to disregard a few 'mistakes' because of your inconsistent data entry. However, if there are more than a few examples, you might want to think about tidying up your place data. If you decide to tidy up your place data, please open a new topic.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, try the attached Emigration from UK Query.
It only considers people born, baptised or christened in England, Scotland, Wales, or Ireland.
It excludes people who died, were buried or cremated in England, Scotland, Wales, or Ireland.

It may not fit your place names perfectly but should provide a working shortlist.
Attachments
Emigration from UK.fhq
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes Mike that is much better although are still some showing England. I guess I'll to amend the places in my tree as previously suggested.