* FH version for RM :lower command

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rcpettit
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH version for RM :lower command

Post by rcpettit »

In rootsmagic I would use {role:lower) to ensure role is in lower case. Is there an equivalent of this in FH. I see there is a function =ToLower() but it doesn't give an example of its usage as with a lot of the functions in the help file.
arthurk
Superstar

Re: FH version for RM :lower command

Post by arthurk »

Unless you can edit the role to use lower-case (I don't use witness roles, so this is beyond my experience) Jane's answer to the opposite of this question helped me a few months ago:
Jane wrote: 22 Jul 2023 17:24 To uppercase the first character you can use:

Code: Select all

=Text(ToUpper(LeftText(Relationship(FileRoot(),,TEXT,1),1,"")) . MidText(Relationship(FileRoot(),,TEXT,1),2,0))
(This was part of Relationships (22113) - a thread on including these in the Property Box caption.)

Have a look at the FH Help for LeftText; since you want everything in lower-case, this might be all you need, though of course you'd use ToLower rather than ToUpper. Otherwise look at MidText and RightText too.

NB - I'm not an expert, which was why I needed to ask about it; if you need further help or the exact string for the function it will need someone else's input.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As with all functions, you can use =ToLower() wherever an expression is allowed.
See the advice for Understanding Expressions in the KB and FH Help.

Please give an example of where you want to use the =ToLower() function, e.g. a Sentence Template expression.

BTW: I don't understand your example of {role:lower} as the nearest I can find in FH is {role=____} where ____ must be filled by one or more role names or the words 'principal' or 'principals'.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rcpettit
Diamond

Post by rcpettit »

I use this sentence template in RM9. Trying to convert it over to FH7.

Son: <%Person% [Thisperson:HeShe] was listed as a [Thisperson:role:lower] in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] father, [Person]|[Thisperson:HeShe] was listed as a [Thisperson:role:lower] in the household of [Thisperson:HisHer] mother, [Person:Given] [ThisPerson:Surname],>< [Place:abbrev]>< on the [Date:year] census>.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

How did FH V7 import that template expression from RM9?

The Role applies to a (Shared) Fact Witness entry applied in this case to the father & mother of the current person.

So let us assume the Fact involved is Residence and the Role is Resident.
See the FH standard Tools > Fact Types... definition for Residence and the Role: Resident.

So your expression will be in the Roles... > Edit > Role Sentence Template.
e.g.
{individual} was listed as a resident in the household of {his/her} father.
i.e.
The Role resident can be inserted explicity in any case you like because you know the Role.

However, in this example, you don't know whether the Principal is the person's father or mother, but that is an entirely different problem for another thread.
Try {individual} lived <with {other=principal}> {place} {date}
But I don't see how to link it to the Census event. I think I need more context for your template expression.
Perhaps, the Fact Witness is applied to a Census event and the Role is Son?
If the Role is Son then you don't need a {role:lower} function just type son in plain text.
rcpettit
Diamond

Post by rcpettit »

Ok, I think I'm overthinking this. Instead of having a general template for my census roles, make individual ones with the each role.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, each Role for each Fact has its own Role Sentence Template.

I am guessing that the Roles will be such as Son, Daughter, Wife, Lodger, etc.
So each sentence will need slightly different wording to cope with each relationship.