* Importing ASSO tags from TNG gedcom

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
OlivierM
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Importing ASSO tags from TNG gedcom

Post by OlivierM »

Hello,

When I export my TNG data through gedcom, it generates ASSO tags. When these tags (associated persons) are related to persons, they are translated correctly by FH. But when they are associated to a marriage, something goes wrong: see attachment

The referred individuals are created as they should, but the link between the persons (e.g. I10159) and the ASSO tag is not established.

How can I correct this ?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (85.52 KiB) Viewed 751 times
image.png
image.png (123.77 KiB) Viewed 751 times
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Importing ASSO tags from TNG gedcom

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, TNG is misusing the ASSO tag, which is not allowed in FAMily records by the GEDCOM specification.

Anyway, ASSOciating a best man with a FAMily is not entirely rational.
The best man should be associated with the Marriage Event.
BTW: It is rather unusual to have four best men for the one marriage!

I think you only have two options:
  1. Move the ASSO tags from the FAMily record to the INDIvidial record of the HUSBand.
  2. Change the ASSO tags to Fact Witness _SHAR tags with ROLE best man for the MARRiage Event.
If you have more than a handful of such ASSO tags then those changes will need a custom plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you for your support !

TNG is what it is :-)

It does indeed not make sense to associate people to a family, and TNG does not allow to link associates to a marriage.
I will go for the _shar tag with role best man for the marriage event, I think.

(My "best man" was a quick translation from french: in fact these are for witnesses at a marriage)
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

There has been a lot of previous discussion about TNG and associations / witnesses. Darrin at TNG believes he is right and has pretty much said he will not change the way they are implemented. I suspect this is because it would throw a lot of people's trees into disarray if they were to update to a TNG version that had this change in it (as you probably know, you can maintain trees in TNG directly rather than just import Gedcom files). As you say, it is what it is. I have disabled showing witnesses on my TNG tree.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

It would be interesting to post a list of the do's and don't do's when you combine TNG and FH.
I am quite happy with using FH ---> TNG with FH as the place where I maintain the data, but I discover some caveats with sources, custom tags, media etc.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you reviewed the Export Gedcom File plugin help pages?
The main page is at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... edcom-file
The destination advice is at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ode-advice
The TNG specific advice is at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation
If after studying that you have further questions then please ask in the Exporting forum.

Have a look in the Exporting forum and Search for TNG to find lots of threads full of advice.

I suggest you post further questions about exporting to TNG in the Exporting forum.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Wow ! Impressive documentation. I will be quiet for some time reading it. ;)
Thank you again. (I suppose you wrote it)