* Multiple Selections in Enum Field

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
McHooty
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Multiple Selections in Enum Field

Post by McHooty »

Hi
I have a custom Templated Source based on the Essentials Church Register template.
One of the custom fields is Enum type with a list of seven options.
Is it possible to make multiple selections from this list ?
I have tried various key combinations without luck.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Michael Huteson

I may be getting older, but the hills aren't getting higher !
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Multiple Selections in Enum Field

Post by AdrianBruce »

While it is not possible to select multiple values from the Enum list - as far as I know - it is possible to add new values. When creating the source from a template, click the down-pointing arrow at the right-hand end of the Enum field (Event Type, say) and instead of selecting one in the list, choose "<Add new...>". You can then enter a composite value such as "Banns & Marriage". If you tick "Remember value" then the new composite will be in the enum list next time.

Caveat 1 - I have no idea how you do this using AS - I just created the source manually.
Caveat 2 - I have not thought through whether there are any "gotchas" further down the line arising from something expecting only the original enum values. No doubt there might be a query written to do just that (rely on the precise Enum values, I mean).
Adrian
McHooty
Platinum

Post by McHooty »

Thanks Adrian, it's as I thought.
I don't need the option when using AS - at least I've not so far.
Your suggestion is one of the options I considered. Others are:
1). re-assigning the Type to Text, but this opens up the possibility/probability of multiple variations of the same entry text e.g. Banns/banns/bans
2). leave the enum field as is and create multiple source records
Another case of swings and roundabouts I think.

As an aside do you know if changing the order of the values in an enum field, e.g. into alphabetical order, will affect existing data ?
Michael Huteson

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

McHooty wrote: 20 Sep 2023 15:45 ... As an aside do you know if changing the order of the values in an enum field, e.g. into alphabetical order, will affect existing data ?
This is a snippet of the source record that I created in the GEDCOM file
1 _SRCT @T7@
1 _FIELD EN-REGISTER_TYPE
2 ENUM Parish Register
1 _FIELD EN-EVENT_TYPE
2 ENUM Birth & Baptism
1 _FIELD NM-PRINCIPAL
2 NAME F /Bloggs/

As you can see, the ENUM just has the modified text - in fact, it looks to me pretty much like the result of selecting two of the original values. I can't see that there is anything in that which depends on the order of the items in the ENUM list.
Adrian
Little.auk
Superstar

Post by Little.auk »

Reading between the lines you appear to be mixing up the SOURCE event type with the FACT event type that it provides evidence for! A BAPTISM event in the Parish Register will show the baptism date. It may also include a birth date - but the SOURCE is still only a BAPTISM record.

The Parish Record template is a generic template for all Parish Record types, the event type (ENUM) entry is there to define which type of Parish Record it is - of which it can be only one!

Usually these are Baptism, Confirmation, Banns, Marriage, Burial or Cremation. I stand to be corrected, but I have never come across a Parish Record that I could apply the Event Types of Birth or Death to! these generally appear in other event types such as baptism or burial.

It would be splitting gone mad to create a new source for every fact in a record - A single source can include many facts and you can link that SOURCE to as many facts as you need.

I have a number of Baptism sources linked to birth dates and to given names (e.g. where baptism name and birth registration name are different).
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
McHooty
Platinum

Post by McHooty »

Hi Peter

I'm not disputing your reading of my question because I maybe didn't include enough information on my original post, although my first line did say: 'I have a custom Templated Source based on the Essentials Church Register template'.
The custom enum field I use in my Source Template is specifically to record the FMP 'Collection' where I found the evidence. In some cases there may be more than one e.g. a baptism may be found in 'England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975' and also in 'Lincolnshire Baptisms'. It is this field I had in mind when I asked the question, not the Event type. I believe Adrian chose 'Births & Baptisms' just as an example to illustrate his reply.
Michael Huteson

Little.auk
Superstar

Post by Little.auk »

McHooty wrote: 27 Sep 2023 13:36 The custom enum field I use in my Source Template is specifically to record the FMP 'Collection' where I found the evidence. In some cases there may be more than one e.g. a baptism may be found in 'England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975' and also in 'Lincolnshire Baptisms'. It is this field I had in mind when I asked the question, not the Event type. I believe Adrian chose 'Births & Baptisms' just as an example to illustrate his reply.
My comments still apply - if you have found the same baptism in both 'England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975' and in 'Lincolnshire Baptisms', you have found it in two completely different sources, which should each have their own separate source records. These can both be linked to the persons baptism event.

In the case of the sources you quote, these a very different animals - 'Lincolnshire Baptisms' are transcripts with a link to an image of the source record. So, an image of a primary source.

If you have that evidence, then the 'England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975', a transcript of an index so, a secondary source at best, is of no real value in comparison. I would only cite this as a source if I had found nothing better, and a 'Lincolnshire Baptisms' record is certainly far better.

The fact you have found the record needs recording, I do this in my research notes - currently a spreadsheet I created long before I moved to FH7 - as per the example below, for my great great uncle, baptised in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1817 . It has a few other columns, for notes and other things. The ability to sort and filter by any column is invaluable for making sure you don't go searching for information you already have. One of my future projects is to move it to FH7.

image.png
image.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11