* define a missing media starting location

Questions about using and managing media in FH
Jackson
Gold
Family Historian: V7

define a missing media starting location

Post by Jackson »

Is there a way to tell FH where to look for missing media?
Mostly I need this when importing from RM and there could be hundreds of missing media items
I actually have 2 locations with the same media names ( dont ask) and dont want the 2nd copies of media found if FH happens to "hit" that location 1st - just having a starting folder with subfolders would be great.
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: define a missing media starting location

Post by Mark1834 »

Tip - most RM migrants find it better to NOT accept the FH default of adding media to the project folder. If you clear that checkbox on import, FH just links to the media in its current location, which is also exactly how RM manages media.

Another advantage of that approach is that both apps are using exactly the same media file and folder structure. No copying of potentially gigabytes of data or having to worry about which is the “master” version, and if you’ve used external media in the past, you’ll be used to managing your own backups.
Mark Draper
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

That was spooky, a poster called Jackson, coming from RM and highlighting the same difference I am sure I have highlighted in the past.

In RM, I used the Fix Broken links a lot, ALWAYS choosing a specific folder where my Genealogy related media SHOULD be, a reasonably quick process and no pain.

FH is currently missing this specific folder selection option. Sometimes I can have 9 physical drives attached so running the process takes my into Neverland for quite a long time, and unnecessarily.

The FH processing is faster than RM but searching those additional folders when unwanted is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Searching everywhere should remain an option but it wouldn't be one I would use very often.

Mark is correct regarding the checkbox, I reference my media files in Lightroom and other Genealogy apps, I don't want FH making additional copies in the project folder.

I'm on vacation and really need to check if there is an existing Wish Item for this.

Jackson
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
Jackson
Gold

Post by Jackson »

thanks for the replies.
I would prefer to keep my own file structure and file names.

EDIT- I Removed the rest of this long confusing post. the reason follows
Jackson
Gold

Post by Jackson »

Reason for previous edit-
I removed everything I had previously posted as I found a different solution using an opensource program (dupeguru) that allows me to add my current media folder as a reference and compares my RM media folder against it ( by image not filename) then I can delete any dups from RM Media giving me only the "new" media which I can then use FH to import the RM and new media ( avoiding duplication of media that had been previoulsy renamed), then rename the new media, and move as I like. I can repeat this process as i update ancestry/RM tree share.

I would still like a way to limit the area FH searches for missing media ( just a root starting place such as drive of folder) as I cancel it after searching 250,000+ needless folders with thousands more to go. I would also like to "see" the area currently being searched ( I know it slows the search a lot) as Im sure its searching my multiple drives which I dont need.
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

With regard to adding an option to restrict the scope of the Broken Links search and progress indicator please raise a New Wish List item on the link below, your suggestions already have my support.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

I never embraced the keeping Ancestry UpToDate using Treeshare in Rootsmagic, it was just far too tedious and time consuming. I fall into the periodic FULL tree up for cousin fishing and hint collection. Then I do the periodic FULL tree down including Media and then get on with the pain of correcting data like Places to prevent duplication, I do the same with MyHeritage.

Renaming Media to something of meaning is another important task following these online interactions, online services certainly don't make this easy.

I am working through a media related mini series on YouTube, the next video will cover Renaming and Keywording neither of which are supported in Rootsmagic. If you are still working primarily in Rootsmagic and creating NEW projects in FH then you cannot benefit from Keywording in FH and possibly FTM which also uses Keywording, just an FYI.

Bearing all that in mind I protect the image data I have and only prepare and add NEW media from online services, I would rather spend my time researching.

My video explaining my file naming system and a completely different system from another ex Rootsmagic user are covered in the video below.

https://youtu.be/zO9J0x0Resg?si=JhQmxL82Sy-qt31F

Don't forget to raise that NWLR, you make a very valid point

Jackson
Jackson
Gold

Post by Jackson »

Actually I dont really use RM, I only got it for the tree share feature which I thought had a 2 way sync with FH to Ancestry. it doesnt so Im past that. I previously used Legacy for many years then stopped researching for a long time ( wow did things change for researching between the 90's and much more recently) and recently got back into it as time permits ( and snow flies ). The way I'm using RM is just do the research on Ancestry using the base database I sent from FH using the sync, then every so often I'll DL/create a new project in RM using treeshare. then import that to FH Hopefully using the dupeguru I found will make that processes much easier on the media part and from there the rename / moving of the media. I'm still experimenting with the keywording. I do have a naming and folder system I have used for years and prefer to stick with that, But I definately will be looking for your videos. Can you supply a link to one or will it come up near the top of a youtube search?

I will try to put in a wish request shortly..
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I see your wish list request and will support it in the near future.

The link to me video channel in in my forum signature, just click on Genealogy Reviews.

My apologies for forming the opinion you were a Rootsmagic migrant and I have to say I have zero knowledge of whether Legacy supports Keywords.

Actually your methods are very similar to mine and probably many others, I will say I have found some of the content related duplicate image utilities a bit questionable when it comes to seeing the difference in document images.