* How to restore boxes

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
GranpyMich
Family Historian: V7

How to restore boxes

Post by GranpyMich »

For some reason I removed the ancestors from 'John Lazarus' see image FHP 1.Image
The descendants of John Lazarus are present in the Family Tree but are not visible, see image FHP 2Image
FHP 2.jpg
FHP 2.jpg (94.29 KiB) Viewed 894 times

I have read the manual, looked at the Help Pages, however I can not find a solution to get the descendants of 'John Lazarus' back into my Family Tree.

Any help & suggestions would be appreciated, please keep any help simple.

Thank you for your time & trouble
Attachments
FHP 1.jpg
FHP 1.jpg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 894 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: How to restore boxes

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello, welcome to FHUG.

You say you have removed the ancestors from John Lazarus but then ask how to get the descendants of Joh Lazarus back into your tree. Does he have any descendants recorded? Or did you mean that his ancestors are not showing?

Your Image FHP1 shows that John Lazarus is included in that particular diagram as the spouse of someone who is related to the diagram root. But he is not a direct relative of the diagram root. (The diagram root is related to Louisa and her other spouse.) An All Relatives diagram displays direct (blood) relatives of the diagram root plus spouses of those people, but it does not include relatives-of-spouses, unless the spouses are themselves blood relatives.

You will find that you can display all the relatives of John Lazarus by choosing him as the diagram root, but the diagram will only include people who are his own direct relatives or their spouses.

To display everyone in the same diagram, try using the All Relatives + Indirect Relatives diagram. This will add John Lazarus’s relatives as a separate group, linked to the main tree with a connecting line.
Lorna
GranpyMich

Post by GranpyMich »

Thanks Lorna for your prompt reply.
I obviously misunderstood that non-blood ancestors are not included in 'my Family Tree'. John Lazarus had two marriages, the first marriage produced a daughter related to my family, his first wife passed away. I was hoping that I could have his descendants, his father & mother etc, & his second wife in my Family Tree!

I tried what you suggested but it is too messy.

Thank you once again.

GranpyMich
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Was Louisa Ball the first wife or the second wife of John Lazarus?

You say that John’s first marriage produced a daughter who is related to your family. Your diagram is showing that Louisa had at least one child with her other husband William Harris, but she had no children with John Lazarus. Therefore I assume that Louisa was his second wife. However you also say that you were hoping to have “his descendants, his father & mother etc, & his second wife in my Family Tree”. If Louisa was his second wife she is already displayed in your tree.

In what way is the daughter from his first marriage related to your family? Is it just that she married into the family? (If so, her other relatives will not be shown in the diagram because they are not blood relatives of the diagram root.)

One other type of diagram you could try is an All Relatives diagram with John and Louisa as the joint diagram root (select them both, then create the diagram with them as the root couple). This will include all John’s and Louisa’s ancestors and descendants, BUT it will not include the ancestors of Louisa’s other husband William Harris.
Lorna
GranpyMich

Post by GranpyMich »

Evening Lorna,
Thanks again for a prompt reply. I have noted your suggestion once again, & will look at it.
Being past my mid-70s, I tend to find certain things in/on software confusing. Software manuals do not make things (to me) very clear.

Regards

GranpyMich
GranpyMich

Post by GranpyMich »

Morning Lorna,
Thanks for your help - SUCCESS.
The ancestors of John Lazarus as you indicated are not blood ancestors, so do not appear on the main Family Tree.

Working with your suggestion I can now access his ancestors.
1. Select 'John Lazarus's box'.
2. Select Ancestors button on toolbar.
3. Select 'Parents of John Lazarus, eg. Benjamin Lazarus & Spouse.
4. Click OK, bingo his ancestor tree appears.

Thank you so much, I have added a pile of documents to his ancestors.

Kind regards

GranpyMich aka Mike C
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I’m glad you have found the solution :D.
FH has various ways of navigating to people who are not your direct relatives. For example in one of your original screenshots you showed the Ancestors tab of the Focus window, displaying John Lazarus’s ancestors. If you click on any of the boxes in that tab the Property box will switch to that person so that you can add more information about them. You can also find them in the Individuals tab of the Records window and double-click to open their Property box from there. (There are filter boxes at the top to help the search).

By the way, I notice in that screenshot you have Benjamin Lazarus born 1801. Is that right? You have his parents born in 1789 and 1791. That would mean Benjamin’s parents were only 12 and 10 when he was born.
Lorna